My IBS story.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had IBSd for years. I can go weeks or even months free of it but when I have a flare up it is awful. I have tried all sorts of foods and writing down everything I eat, each time but I just cannot see that what I eat affects me as my diet is more or less the same all the time and because I can go so long without symptoms. All of a sudden, I have to rush to the loo. I then cannot close my trouser because I know that within minutes I have to do a mad rush again. Thankfully I have 2 toilets in the house, so that one is always free for me and is only about 2 metres away for when I have to run. The diahorrea is just like after one has been given a drink to clean out ones bowel before an op. It is just explosive. I have to rush back and fore like this for maybe 30 to 60 minutes. By then I am exhausted, feeling I could pass out and the cramps are horrendous. After that I go for a lie down and that's it finished. Fortunately for me, this has never happened to me outside my home because I'd never be able to control my bowel. This has made me terrified of leaving my home just incase as I have no warning when this will happen. My doctor recommended I try Fybogel. I said to her that the last thing I needed was fibre but she asked me to please try it. The first day I knew it was going to help me, though it doesn't help everyone. I always felt as though there was something in my bowel, a sort of needing the loo but couldn't do it. I immediately felt that I could do a proper poo each day. I take 2 orange flavoured sachets every day. Wonderful. The only snag is that it doesn't stop the diahorrea when I have a flare up. I just want to say, maybe if you could try it it might be great for you too. As they say " it's good to talk".

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You are one of the lucky ones!

• Posted

oh sorry for some reason your entire message didnt post just reading the whole thing nowthough you are lucky to have to only deal with it once in a while, there is no such thing as lucky with ibs

• Posted

wow that is not fun to deal with on a daily basis I have the same situation

• Posted

I haven't had an IBS flare up in years because I am mostly calm. Mine was entirely stress related as diagnosed by my doctor. Try Imodium for your diarrhoea and try the Low Fodmap diet. Are you having stress? Maybe food isn't the cause but stress is. I have had IBS D as a response to stress.

• Posted

pippa, what other secrets do you have? how do you keep calm? that is part if my problem i cant keep the anxiety about how i feel at bay.

• Posted

The only way I can control my anxiety is to avoid stressful situations as much as possible. I make all sorts of excuses for avoiding medical appointments and eye tests if I can because for me , the stress is simply not worth it. If I can't avoid them,, anxiety takes over because I don't have a proper mechanism for dealing with it and inevitably IBS strikes. Avoidance isn't the best solution for anxiety but it's the only coping strategy I've got.

• Posted

hi anron, i was originally diagnosed with ibs over 12 years but my final diagnosis said coeliac disease 6 months back. now i have found out what this is my bowel can move properly and that feels good. if you know how the bowel works properly yours works too much and quickly. you need to find out how to slow it down a little and relaxing helps, i can agree with pippa about this. you could ask your doctor's if they offer acupuncture which may stop your bowel going in to spasm. (unless you hate needles). failing that or yoga? something relaxing, mindfulness works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.