My IBS was Really Gastritis - Advice to All

Posted , 5 users are following.

After my IBS started getting worse and unpredictable and I had an endoscopy. I never thought my digestive distress was stomach related. No pain, indigestion or heartburn. Just constant bathroom issues every morning, gas and sporadic lower GI pain. It always seemed intestinal so who would ever suspect an upper GI problem. When I woke up after the procedure my doctor said I had a lot of redness in my stomach. She put me on Protonix (acid blocker) and about 3 weeks later I am a new woman!

My years of lattes, OJ, wine etc. apparently caught up with me. Had I known I had an acid problem I would have been reduced the acid and popped OTC acid blockers and prevented years of distress. I wish my doctor had mentioned gastritis causes IBS.

Apparently all of that acid pours into your stomach and GI tract and viola, you are suffering the effects. I am still afraid to drink alcohol because even on the meds, it kills me the next day. So does ginger ale. I always drank it because I thought it was making me feel better but i was so ill from it the next morning.

I have also given up gluten a but since I don't have Celiac, I'm bringing it back. Reducing it does help prevent bloating and gas but it is really hard to live without.

The lesson I learned is listen to your body and search for a treatment rather than chalking it up to IBS. Don't write things off as stress. What causes stress is having horrible GI symptoms.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

am going through the same thing, i have immflamation in my stomach and acid like really bad acid reflux plus ibs, its irritating and stressful i was put on meds but it made my reflux worst so i had to stop it and then try a 2nd one call lansoporozole something like that and the 1st dose am getting stomach pain, diarrhea, feeling weak, am not sure if am taking a second dose i might give the 1st meds another try cause that one didnt give me any stomach issues but the side effects i really dont like, lucky you for feeling better, i really hate living like this its affecting my life

• Posted

Sorry to hear you are feeling so ill. It takes its toll. It took about 2-3 weeks to feel better. I always wake up at around 4:30 in the morning so I tried taking the med then going back to sleep until 6:00. Taking pills on an empty stomach seems counter intuitive but it worked. Have you considered trying taking the pills before bed? Maybe 2 hours after eating?

• Posted

Wow! I didn't know gastritis causes IBS! My doctor didn't tell me that either. Do you have gastritis as well as IBS or just gastritis? I was lucky and my IBS has gone into remission after reducing stress. My doctor told me that I had stress related IBS because my symptoms appeared six months after non stop stress.

• Edited

well defined article marinab, the stomach, bowel and gastro systems are ALL connected, what annoys me are doctor's who are too quick to say IBS, hmm normally NOT the case normally other things! well done, if you're going to have a drink try loads of antiacids 1st! good luck to you, happy days!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.