My INR 1.80 WORRIED that I could have another PE

Posted , 5 users are following.

Today I had my blood tests and my results came back as 1.80. I was diagnosed in July was back in hospital 2 weeks ago with terrible pain in my lungs and lower back ( kidney area).

Laat night I woke up with a burning sensation in my right side in my chest and my right arm feels heavy and gets numb when I use it. My lungs still hurts and I have been feeling very tired, which I know is normal. But what I have been experiencing now really bothers me.

I am feeling paranoid and anxious about this especially after getting my results this morning.

Is this something to be concerned about? Have any of you experienced something similar?

I don't even know why it is low. I am not eating a lot of foods with Vit K. In one week I only had 150ml yougurt and a piece of banana. Could that make such a difference?

Any advice for peace of mind would be appreciated.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I dont know much avout Coumadin which what i guess your on. But have you tried the others like eliquis? It dose not require an inr. How did you get your pe and hiw old are you if you do t mind me asking.
    • Posted

Hi Samantha.

We traveled to Canada and back and it's a two days flight one way.

I am 46 years old.

I am still new to all this. The physician has put me on Warfarin. Currently I am going for bloodtests every 7 days to see what dosages is going to work for me and to stabilize me.

I am an emotional ball at the moment. Never thought this would happen to me. I am really scared something is going to happen. I have pain where I have not had pain before. I have a pain down my right arm and numbness.

My warfin has been increased. Whwre I skipped one day, I drink 2.5 mg now for the next 7 days.

Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

Wow thats a long flight. Have you thought about other thinners i was on eliquis and the only two side effects i had was some chest and back pain. Im 36 there not 100 %on what caused mine but im off thinners since may. I was on for 6 months.
  • Posted

Hi Mardie,

This soon after a PE you would still have pain (I did, where the original clots reached the pleura) and it does come and go.

Not sure if your target inr is the same as mine, but mine is supposed to be between 2.0 and 3.0. So an inr of 1.8 is not too far off.

When I first went on to warfarin, my inr was all over the place. Gradually, it became more stable, although it still has the odd wobble to keep me on my toes. In the early days and when it misbehaves, they test my inr weekly...your surgery should be doing the same.

There are a lot of myths about warfarin, I will try and debunk the ones I know of...

You can still have vitimin K foods. You just need to eat them consistently (i.e. steady amounts with no big variations).  Same goes for most foods...you can eat them ok, just don't suddenly increase or decrease something.

Alcohol is not much more of an issue if you are on warfarin than it is for anyone else. i.e. 2-3 units max. Same as above - no sudden binges. Also, alcohol generally reduces inr, not raises it.  Can't remember the reason off hand, but it is something odd like a smaller amount reduces it, but a large amount increases it.

People shout about it being a poison. It's not, it is a drug. Like any drug - too much is an issue. I would feel safer taking too much warfarin than too much paracetamol....

Your inr will vary - everyone's does. It's just that their's isn't being measured. Something as simple as a cold can raise it. Sometimes it will do the reverse (the body is a funny old mechanism). If you take antibiotics, they too may raise or lower it.

You generally can't feel if your inr is high or low, but you may notice it changing.  If mine drops suddenly, I get headaches. If mine goes up, I don't seem to notice.

If you are worried, ask the warfarin clinic nurses. The ones in my surgery are great.

HTH

Peter

• Posted

Thank you Peter. My target is also between 2-3. But I read that is ok however at greater risk to develop or again. I have pain doen my right arm that I have not have before. I also have slight headaches.

This condition scares me.....honestly.

Thanks again for your reply. It does make me feel better.

• Posted

Hi it is very natural to feel worried I had a massive PE nearly five years ago nothing proved as to why it happened I have been on warfarin nearly 5 years recently changed to apixaban three months ago. Like you my INR went up and down more down than up and dose changed accordingly. My advice is to take the advice given by your Gp and INR clinic I was having tests every week for months and months and dose changed accordingly. Again like yourself I wasn't eating food to contra indicate the warfarin lots of things can affect your INR level including stress. Try to stick to a well balanced diet as if you are not eating sufficiently this also has affect. There is light at the end of the tunnel so to speak I have been told I will be on anti coagulation for life and first off told recovery could take up to a year before you feel more like your normal self, be sure to try to keep calm relax and talk like you are doing to people that have had the same thing happen. I came across this page and found it very helpful. 

Keep well and best regards tracey xx

• Posted

Thank you Tracey! Yes unfortunately I can stress a bit! Never knew this could have an effect.

Really appreciate everybody's input and advice.

I must just stop being so paranoid but every pain has me in a worry state.

I will try and relax and stress less.

Thanks again!

• Posted

It is only natural to worry I didn't realise what a close call to my maker I had especially when you are given no reason to why it happened in the first place .  Take every day as it comes and enjoy 😊 xxxx 

• Posted

oh honey you are not paranoid you are normal and if I were you I would get myself to the ER and tell them you have pulmonary embolisms and you're having these pains. They will have to do a CT scan on you and you might find that your embolisms are gone as I did the same length of time I had them as you have. I had mine in November and in January I was back in the ER with chest pains and they immediately took me and did a CT scan and an echo and an ultrasound and they found it all of mine were gone. Even knowing that I still freak out if I have any kind of problem breathing. And I have been back in the hospital one other time and at one time about 2 months ago my INR was 1.5 and I was doing everything right. They adjusted my Coumadin and two weeks later it was 4.0! So they adjusted it again and Monday it was 2.5 which was perfect. But I go every two weeks and have been doing this since November. Well actually I entered the hospital on Halloween which is appropriate! But I was there for nine days and they got it to 2.3. The more often I have it checked the less anxiety I have but they have put me on an anti-anxiety medication because my doctor puts everyone on this , those like you and I who survive the initial PEs. Do not and I mean do not be intimidated for your fears. This is you it is your life and it is up to you to take charge so, if you are still scared and that concerned than a visit to the ER would not be out of line. Good luck and I know you did not expect a book for an answer! Stay in touch as this is a good site!

• Posted

I just read through these other letters and I agree with all of them. And the person who wrote it about having the same amount of vitamin K each day is right. I carry my phone with me and check everything I eat but I have started eating just a little bit vitamin K but keep to the same amount every day or I try to. Another thing I did was to order vitamins from the web that had no vitamin K in it because I felt like I was not getting enough vitamins and what I was eating. I have forgotten the name of these because I am out of them but they are for people like us who cannot have vitamin K and every other vitamin will have vitamin K in it. In three months it will be a year and it is just in the past couple of weeks that I felt like myself again. I am older than you all and that 73 I feel like every day I live is a gift. And you will find yourself feeling that same way someday. But do ask your doctor to put you on something for anxiety.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Marie. I will chat to my doc to give me something for anti-anxiety. My hubby also say it's the stress that gets to me. I Never knew it could effect me ....

I guess I am just worried as I have two young kids and a mother that I am looking after as well.

Really appreciate your advice.

Good luck to you xx

• Posted

I am drinking a vitamin that doesn't contain Vit K. Of I don't take it, I feel drained.

Thank you for letting me know. smile

• Posted

Hi Again Mardie,

A symptom (or side effect) of PEs is anxiety. It is one of the symptoms that aids diagnosis and something that almost every PE patient suffers from for a while after diagnosis. Just do a straw poll on here and you will see incidence of anxiety is unusually high.   Not sure how effective anxiety meds would be combatting this.

Also, some of the modern anxiety medications can be a nightmare to come off, so you may be trading one issue for another. If you do go that direction, have a chat with your doctor about how to stop taking them them as well as starting them.

HTH

Peter

• Posted

Thank you Peter. You are right. Don't want to be too dependable on anti-anxiety tabs. I will rather look at something more natural. But I will have to do something. smile

I am happy to see ( sorry not meant in a bad or negative way) that there are people going through this unfortunate anxiety thing and I can get good advice on how to deal with it.

• Posted

Hi it's me again, Marie, and I have been thinking about you a lot since we wrote and about anti-anxiety medicines. I had read some of the natural herbs for anxiety do not work with coumadin. When I was in the hospital they put me on Xanax, .25mg 3 times a day. Now I only take one and sometimes I don't take even that one so I had no problem cutting back. I feel so much better when I'm not anxious because when I'm anxious I can run my blood pressure up Sky High! That is the truth and I'd rather have some kind of withdrawal from that one one Xanax pill then have blood pressure that is too high. I remember when I went back to the hospital in January and I was there for two or three nights having more test and when they found nothing wrong anywhere and my echocardiogram was good my chest pains went away! Occasionally I will have a tiny one but when I was diagnosed I did not have any major chest pains but I did have such shortness of breath that I could not come up my steps from my downstairs to my upstairs. And I was like long-distance Walker and have walked tens of thousands of miles in my life because I owned a hiking company for 25 years so I was and am but fit. I have finally gone back to being Marie and am snorkling in our Y pool 4 days a week to strengthen my lungs.

• Posted

Thanks for thinking about me and your support. I am into dog training and shows. But as I get tired and my lungs starts to ache, I will have to get my daughter to do the running for me...for now anyway. I am slowly but surely working towards getting my lungs stronger. I am asthmatic so it's going to take a while.

I still have the pain in my right arm but it does feel better this evening.

Take care

Mardie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.