My journey on Prozac

Posted , 2 users are following.

This is day 22 on Prozac. I started out on 10 my then increased to 20. I am taking it for reactive depression and panic attacks.

I have been experiencing side effects that make me want to stop taking the meds. I get dull headaches everyday, restless, moody,extremely tired, I feel as if I could scream,run, jump,vomit,pass out,cry,laugh and fight at the same damn time. I feel miserable and have thoughts of hurting myself. Not purposely only when I black out during a panic attack. The medicine seems to cause them more frequently.

At times I feel overwhelmed and miserable. As if I'm worthless and no one cares.

I have no appetite and have lost weight.

The only plus is I am not waking up 4 or 5 times a night. Maybe once or twice now.

I am going to try to stick with this for another month to see if it helps. So far it's not helping.

I always seem to feel really weird in the morning and evening. I just want this feeling to go away!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I also want to add that it has affected my concentration while working. I'm quick to become irritated.

I work in customer service and I have to constantly be nice and apologize for everything that has happened and it has become increasingly harder by the day to do so while taking this medication.

Prozac makes me nervous and uneasy. Since I've been depressed I've lost my passion for music. I am also a songwriter as well as a vocalist and I sing a Band. I also work with other artist on developing their career.I don't want to do anything anymore.

I don't even want to leave the house. My son was diagnosed with schizoaffective and bipolar type and it is very hard to deal with this so I'm basically writing this to hopefully help others try to stick to the medicine so that they can get better.

If this doesn't work for me I'm going to try a more natural approach which is what I was actually trying before but it really wasn't working. I am going to get help with that approach if this Prozac does not work.

• Posted

Hi I started the 1st December on 20mg and couple of weeks ago felt really low so now on 40 I could not quite explain how I feel but you have described it perfect.

i feel hideous and feel like stopping them, my heart feels like it's going to jump out my chest I'm anxious as hell, feel like crying and locking myself away.

im so fed up with them xx

• Posted

Yeah the side effects suck. It took me three months to convince myself they aren't crazy people pills before I would even take them. Lol the pills give me the strangest sensation...in the worst way. I feel like I have a really bad hangover. Like I swallowed a whole bottle of pills.

I'm sticking with it though. I was told it would get worse before it gets better. Good luck to you!

Im

• Posted

It takes months and months for these meds to start working, so on day 22 you're bound to feel the side effects - these do wear off in time.  Mark recovery in months, not days or weeks.  Took my son 8 months to fully recover from really bad depression and anxiety.

During these months, recovery can also come in waves - feel great for days or weeks then feel really low, as if you're back at the start.  That's normal, and in time it'll level out.

Many people give up on these meds too early thinking they're not working - they are, though you just can't see it ... yet.  But you will in time.

You need lots of perseverance and patience.

K x

• Posted

Thanks...It Has Gotten worse. Unbearable even. I keep reading different things in regards to how long it takes for the medicine to kick in. for the past three mornings I have woke up with very high anxiety. It goes away after few hours then comes back for a couple hours... goes away.... comes back I can't work/live like this... but I will try and stick to it thank you for commenting.
    • Posted

IM the same nearly gave up yesterday and stopped them but I'll go another week, I am hungry and snacking more which is not good to.

ive been reading about Wellbutrin and if these don't work going to ask for them.

heard good for energy to as I have ME so tired on top of ME tired isn't great xxx

• Posted

It always gets worse before it gets better.  Whilst you're recovering it won't always feel this intense, it'll slowly ease over time.  Yes the anxiety will come and go in waves too.

Personally for me I couldn't carry on living with anxiety, and though these meds were tough and it took a long time, it was a small price to pay.  I felt the side effects from the meds were no different to how I was suffering anyway.  I'm glad I persevered, and I recovered completely and have been well for about 15 years now.

They will help you xxx

• Posted

I may have to take some time off from work so that my body and mind can adjust to the meds.

I am glad that you have recovered! ! :-)

• Posted

I hope it works out for you soon. I'm going to try to stick with it for a few months.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.