My journey so far with Blepharitis/MGD....any top tips?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello forum members, 

Looks like this is a great support network. I live in the U.K. and had ongoing eye issues for about 7years, first styes and then blepharitis and only this year in Nov after having sore inflamed left eyelid every third day or so after wearing contacts I decided enough was enough and thought I better get them looked at. An optician confirmed blepharitis and mgd and gave me the usual hot compress/massage eye lid routine which I have been doing up to now at least once or more often twice a day which takes about 20-25min each time. Its difficult fitting this around small children and having a life isn't it??

I am also on Lymecycline an oral tetracylcine and at the moment I am okayish but defo peaks around 4/5pm which of course is busy kids home from school/dinner/bed time routine and try and do a hot compress which gives 5min or so relief but find cleaning products seem to dry out my eyes so then put a lubricating eye drop in. I am using Clinitas which feels like it lubricates eye but doesn't really soothe the eye and then I put in gel tears or lacrilube in my eye. I have had sleeping tablets and now co-codomol as I would go to bed with my eye sore. I am finding this not as bad now but wondered if any of you also had sleep issues?

Despite fairly diligant long standing routine not really finding much worsening or improvement but sometimes get flare up on a third day. As anyone else seen improvement or anything that helps move it along. I am not keen to use wet wipes as feel like even normal eye lids wipes are quite drying.  

I am also taking flax seed oil, omega tablets, multivitamins etc and I know some people spoke about seeing nutritionist, allergist and I guess the treatment plan is v unique to that person but any probiotic supplements or anything pearls of wisdom to share with the group. I eat fish x3/4 a week so think my diet is good. I do believe my eyes are my stress/weakness and wondered also as well as nutritionist advice if anyone has gone down route of homeopathy and had success or anyother alternative therapies - acupuncture etc?

Finally anything else helps....still to buy humifidier...any recommendations on portable ones? 

Last question - promise ....will I need to wait completely until blep clears before trying contact lenses again? Its diff to know what is blep and what is dry eye. I am going to change to a daily disposable lens. I also wondered do any contact lens wearers with this condition do their hot compress/massage/eye lid clean with their contacts in? 

Being referred to opthmology nurse led service soon and wondered who have advised via phone all the things that we are all advised...hot compress, bla de dah....but wondered if there is anything else I should ask for? i think I may have exhausted my optician visits. They can claim back money from NHS by putting in supplementary code but not sure if they have a limit on how many from same patient. Its a bit frustrating as only they can really truly tell you what is going on with your eyes :~{ 

Sorry for the essay

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi,the warm compresses made blepharitis on my outer lid worse. I have mgd also. So gave up on the compresses and just do a good cleaning. I probably should still do them,but caused my lids to flair. I use a cotton bud on my lids every so often with baby shampoo and water. Most of the time just plain water,im careful to use a clean cooton swab for each eye and rub along the lash line. Then rinse with clear water. Believe me its not perfect,but helps

• Posted

Yeah its funny the hot compress...It gave me some relief byt then felt quite drying and little inflamed. Not convinced I have loads of MGD as even after 20min hot compress v little comes out. I get mixed up with the whole dry eye/blepharitis/MGD and it becomes confusing what one to treat!!
  • Posted

Hi, I don't know if you are on Facebook but I am part of a huge group of bleph sufferers full of advice.

Have you tried tea tree oil? What are you symptoms?

Very diluted tea trea and baby shampoo and water twice a day with a cotton bud around the lash line helps me. Along with drops when needed. I wear contacts every day and currently have it all managed xx

• Posted

Hi Emma, 

I am posting back to you as it seems you have been one of the lucky ones and managed to get a solution. It would be good to get details of the facebook group? I was planning to put 10 drops of tea tree oil into bottle of baby shampoo so I have ready made solution to apply and then rinse off. Does that seem right and do you apply only to closed eyelids and not to the eyelash rim? First thing in the morning I feel I need shower to relieve dry feeling but looking at my eye you wouldn't really guess I had issues although under microscope 9 days ago there was crusting on upper eye lash rim. Today I have been applying eye drops every 1 to 2 hours to keep eye lubricated as they do seem to feel dry but not sure if its that or blepharitis. I am a bit confused about whether antihistamine would help as some people use these drops but my optician said that these dry out your eyes. How do you work out if its an allergy or not? I only notice it one eye, so maybe unlikely. 

Would you mind sharing with me more of your story...how long did you have symptoms, what treatment you used and for how long and what you currently do to maintain eye care and hopefully prevent a relapse? Do you still apply eye drops when wearing contacts and do hot compresses? Its really nice to hear that you have managed to go back to contact lenses. This is my aim although I will probably wear them less than previously and will go for daily toric lenses. 

Thanks for advice and yes please to facebook details. Is it a u.k, site

Cheers

Justine

• Posted

I have had this annoying condition for more than two years.  Have seen many ophthalmologists and even turned to the Lions Eye Institute.  That doc really felt that there may be an allergy and underlying sinus issue.  This summer I was referred to Massachusetts Eye Institute and saw three docs there.  I had pictures to show the condition at its worst as whenever I schedule an appointment- things are pretty calm.  Mass Eye feels it is likely allergy rooted but also said it is ocular rosescia and sent me to an allergist.  Waiting for extensive patch testing but the allergist feels it will not be from things I've been allergic to in previous childhood testing, rather something new.  So, later this month I have testing.  Both Mass Eye doc and allergist were impressed that my gp feels it is ocular r. And prescribed low dose doxycycline.  I have occasional out of the blue flare ups but my approach usually nips it in the bud.  

1.  I wear contacts- dailies only now.  Bi weekly or monthly seem to trigger the inflammation.

2.  I do not use anything on eyelids or eyeliner when it is acting up and never wear any shadow other than matte.  Iridescent shadows seem to irritate.

3.  I have switched to diluted baby shampoo foam cleanser to clean.

4 I do use the Wet Ones morning and night

5.  I do not have dry eye, but when things are acting up I use Fresh Kote drops - very pricey but ophthalmologist recommended.  Retainer are good also.

Good luck and you are right- time consuming!

• Posted

Hi justine20681

I tried all sorts to begin with was so desperate and some worked for awhile but nothing worked long term.....the baby shampoo made my eyes worse so I started using Blephasol Lotion diluted in boiled cooled water and fund that helps a lot....it's expensive (around £10/ £11 a bottle) but you can get on prescription. Do you take Citrozine (think that's how it's spelt) antihistamine ? I also get Doxycycline for flare ups......i have also started with "Excema " around both eyes which make them look horrendous but I use (very sparingly) Hydrocortisone cream on the lids and beneath the eye .....I put it on then use a clean cotton bud to sort of wipe off I know sounds mad but it does work. I don't use contacts as I only wear glasses for reading so can't advise with that. I do still wear make up at weekends when I go out but use disposable eye liner wands (1 for each eye) and I use a charcoal eye shadow instead of liner. I also use disposable mascara wands as well.....all seems to be working quite well so far but it has taken a long time to get here .....

Good luck to you and hope you find something that works for you.

Oh I also use the Blephasol eye wipes as well ....I only ever use wipes gels lotions etc that are specifically for eyes .....the lumecare eye gel I use too get them all on prescription....(I pay a yearly subscription . For my prescriptions so makes sense ) I got some lovely cooling gel off a site on the Internet it wasn't expensive but can't remember the site sorry x

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I may go back to Blephasol. Why did they decide to give you antihisatmine...My optician veered me off that as said it dry's out eyes. Are you in the U.K? Just wondered how you get referred to allergist. Did you see only GP or optician or have you been referred to opthomology? 

• Posted

I started the antihistamines myself after reading about them being helpful.....I did tell my GP and he said it does help and yes it has ...hasn't dried my eyes out though .....my eyes were dry to start so maybe it would have if I hadn't already got it......I am in the UK .

I haven't seen any allergists my GP just said there is nothing that can cure it it's a chronic disease but it can be managed and the only thing is .....finding what works for you really .....like I said I tried all sorts after reading some advice on these forums ...some worked really well others made them 10 times worse .....but I just persevered and it hasn't gone away I can feel it there lurking but I am managing it .....if you know what I mean.....I know it sounds odd but that's what I feel and hopefully it stays away from the surface ......x

• Posted

Hi Gwynny, i know what you mean...i feel like its lurking but managing it at mo. How often do you take antihistamine? Are you worse certain times of yesr...definitely started in oct with heating going on
    • Posted

Hi justice20681

I take an antihistamine every morning.... I did ask the pharmacist if it was OK to do that and he said yes.....just the Citrozine don't know about any other type, I can only take that one as I take other medication which I do think has caused a lot of my eye problems ....I'm not sure when they are worse because I have only had it under control a couple of months but central heating does make them slightly sore so am hoping they don't get too bad.....

• Posted

My eyes used to get really crusty ....still do a bit now and again I use a shampoo called " Capasal Herbal" only place I can get is online as it comes from Dublin and not found it over here ....can get "Capasal Therapeutic " which is coal tar and it does work too but the smell is too strong for me ....

• Posted

Dear Justine,

I killed Blepharitis with the Wet Ones, antibacterial hand wipes, and have posted on this site how I did it.

My daughter used the Wet Ones to kill a stye she had. It was just starting so it took only a couple of days but she did it for 2 days more she said to make sure.

Hope this helps,

Lynda79

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.