My journey starts today

Posted , 6 users are following.

After 2 years on a bottle of vodka a night I’m losing a battle with vodka but I want to quit before I lose everything I usually start drinking at 3pm every day and by 11pm the vodka is gone  I think most drinkers will relate to the happy place it finally takes you to that feeling of no problems and everything will be ok tomorrow but it’s a vicious circle I’ve found myself in but I want to change , I have no support I’m not under the doctor but after reading some heartwarming stories on here I e decided that tonight I’m going to start at 9pm and I’m buying a quarter bottle today for this evening my question is I’m reaching out to ask is this the best way to taper the amount I’m drinking I’m very new to this it’s my first day is there any advice or tips you can help me with ? Yours faithfully Simon 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Boy does this sound familiar. Vodka was my drug of choice forMANY years   Also like you, I drank daily for hours to get to that happy/numb spot. I will be sober 8 years on Friday.  It’s really about finding what works for YOU as everyone is different. Having less or eventually nothing in the house is good. Find a way to stay busy.  If you sit around and just think about the drink, it will drive you crazy.     Praying for you 
    • Posted

8 yeArs sober is amazing. Me 5 1/2 years sober and also drank vodka, red or white, strong cider etc. Had circle years and will never stop until you take a dramatic stop. Monkey's story about her sister is completely heartbreaki ing ..

• Posted

Suggestive typing on tablet is nuts..I meant that drinking is a vicious circle which you have to break. Not easy..do try..
  • Posted

I'm not a drinker but my sister was that was her drink of choice vodka she suffered many years she lost her battle and July as a matter of fact July 9th is coming up may she rest in peace that vodka took her so far it destroyed her brain kidneys liver she suffered for many years after stop drinking it was too late she was on the medicine called lactulose and it destroyed her bowels when we rushed her to the hospital the doctor had two choices either keep her comfortable but 9 times out of 10 she was going to pass by the next day or put her on the surgery table and nine times out of 10 she wouldn't make it off the table drinking destroyed our family we didn't drink but she did she left behind for children two of them are grown and I'm raising the other two for what it's worth drinking does not solve not one problem please quit while you can before it's too late you're not the only one that suffers behind the drinking people that love you suffer as well I watch my sister go through a living hell until her passing day now I have to watch these children miss their mom my sister please if you can put the bottle down to it get help before my sister passed she weighed 174 lb but with her liver and kidneys not functioning properly she would gain as much as 200 lb or more and water weight gain because it had nowhere to go except for through her body and swell her up my prayers to you and I pray that one day you will turn your back on that vodka it's not worth losing your life when you have family and friends and most importantly God loves you reach for the sky because God will always have your back God bless you

• Posted

Boy have I done the vodka tango. I used to have 20+ shots a day and i mean not small ones. I've detoxed and tapered and yes you can do it. My first question is how physically dependent are you? After so many hours do your hands start to shake without a drink? I was so physically dependent that I had to space my drinks just to make the shakes go away. It was a bit scary but you can get through it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.