My journey to being diagnosed with IC

Posted , 2 users are following.

Thought I would tell my story and perhaps it may help for anyone who is suffering the same symptoms and not sure what to do.

At the end of 2014 I was informed that my routine Cervical smear came back showing abnormal cells. Within a few days I was in hospital and getting treatment for stage 3 CIN (abnormal cells) I was very lucky it was picked up when it was. Anyway the treatment was sucessful and all was good.

A few months after treatment I had my first urine infection. The pain just before and after going to loo was agony. I suffered with terrible pain in my lower tummy and would be doubled over barely able to walk. Urine test was clear but they gave me Antibiotics anyway. This seemed to clear it and I thought no more of it.

Then it happened again a few months later. Then the pattern started. Every three to four months I would be hit with a painful urine infection but testing would always be negative.

After a year of going back and forward to my GP she decided to send me back to Gynae as I was convinced this was related to the treatment I had for the abnormal smear. I had a scan of my tummy and lots of swabs taken but all was fine.

I was becoming so depressed with all the symptoms and feeling like a bit of a fraud as all tests would come back negative. Gynae discharged me saying they felt it was a urologist I should be seeing. So back to my GP I went.

The GP sent me to have a scan of my bladder and kidneys and guess what.... all was fine. She then arranged for me to see a urologist.

When I seen the urologist he straight away said I think your symptoms sound like Interstitial Cystytis. I seriously could have hugged him. To have someone actually confirm what I am going through and that it was not all in mind was just such a relief.

I was then sent to have a cystoscopy to confirm his thoughts. This was a very quick and straightforward procedure. It confirmed IC and they also done a hydrodistension (stretch of the bladder) and he decided to take a biopsy whilst he was in there. Apparently people with IC have small bladders - who new!!

It's been a week since I had this procedure. Ive been given pain relief and a tablet to help with the inflammation of the bladder. So far so good. I have everything crossed this works for me. I am still waiting on the biopsy results but at least I now have an answer and a plan for moving forward.

I hope telling my story helps others. It's worth suggesting IC to your GP if you are still suffering symptoms and not sure why. Reading the patient leaflet on here for IC I found really helpful too.

Good luck everyone.

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clair, I have it too, since September. I hate when it gets bad but my way of keeping the worst flares at bay is with diet, exercise and lots of water. I don't always succeed and the first two months were probably the worst,  bad pain in the pelvic area, going to the bathroom, after going to the bathroom...pressure...but if it comes only intermittently now instead of constantly, I'll be grateful. I wish you success and good health. I'm glad your bladder distension was successful. Something I've read that you may find of interest..I have heard if this procedure is done multiple times, may result in incontinence. I'm sure that won't happen but I just wanted to alert you to what other women have written on these forums. 

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I will keep that in mind. Thankfully no problems with that so far. These forums are really good and very helpful. Best wishes and good health to you smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.