My Journey with Prozac - Journal/Diary

Posted , 20 users are following.

I've decided to document my journey starting prozac/fluoxetine as a way to cope and record my progress, as well as possibly help others!

Day 1 (Wednesday, Oct. 28):

I was prescribed 10mg of prozac this day and took it early, around 8:30. I had been suffering depression and anxiety which came out of nowhere for 5 weeks and decided to start medication. This was a normal depressed day, but it faded 80% at 6:00 like usual. I went to dinner with a friend and felt somewhat good smile

Day 2:

Bad morning anxiety. I think I was depressed most of the day, it did gt better around 6:00pm.

Day 3:

​I woke up with my usual morning anxiety and bad diarrhea. But on this Friday I had an exam and noticed after that my intrusive thoughts had started to fade! They were still there but didn't scare me (fear of death, fear of time running out). I went home to visit my family this day and felt happier, though tired at times.

Day 4:

I was very busy Halloween day. Me and my siblings drove all around town to find last minute details for their costumes.I noticed around 2 that I was feeling down again. By 6:30, I had forgotten my worries and was in the moment! I enjoyed my night smile

Day 5:

Struggled to eat in the morning. Felt like gagging when I tried to take a bite, but I forced it down anyways. I was at a park trying to relax but the anxiety/butterflies feeling was strong. Throughout the day I had bouts of crying and hopelessness. At 4 I felt great again, not perfect but good! 

Day 6:

Monday morning I had to go back to my apartment and say bye to the family. I have to increase to 20mg on Wednesday so I did around 13mg today. Bad morning anxiety like usual, and around 10:30 I had a complete breakdown and cried driving back. My mom talked with me over the phone for awhile to help me get through. I went to class and around 2:30, I noticed something weird. I wanted to listen to my music! I love music but haven't been able to listen to anyhting these past few weeks. I felt 99%! I was so happy, I actually went out to my favorite restaurant alone for the first time in awhile. Great day, no relapse!

Day 7:

Today the morning anxiety was pretty bad. I took 15 mg to prepare for the 2 tomorrow. I had a major, major panic attack as bad as my first one ever, I started crying uncontrollably. It lasted 1 minute because I stopped myself and asked "Am I going to let anxiety do this to me?" I took .5mg of xanax (which never helps me) and much to my suprise, I felt soooo normal at 1:30! I even danced around the room. Later that night I went to a movie with a friend and noticed a small amount of anxiety, like a slight gagging feeling. It strangely didn't go away at night like usual, but today was still pretty great! No depression today.

Day 8:

Increased to 20mg today. I had really bad morning anxiety and went for m CBT, we did a meditation exercise where you breath and imagine an ocean and I literally was having more anxiety! SO around 10:45 I took a xanax... I thought I was going to pass out. I just wanted to sleep all day. It was very hard to go to class after being in bed so long. At home I just tried to watch TV and distract myself. Didn't feel better in the evening like I usually do which was strange. Heightened anxiety all day!

Day 9:

Horrible day. Morning anxiety and bad, bad diarrhea. I could barely eat today, I had a small piece of pizza, and later on a smoothie. I stayed in bed most of the day which is very strange for me, but luckily my friend came around 5. I still had low anxiety, but had a better time a night. 

Day 10:

I was on the verge of a panic attack in the car today, but I wanted to stay calm for my friend. I couldn't eat so I drank half of a smoothie. My friend left today around 10 am. When I got home, I had bad diarrhea and started crying.   I took .25mg of xanax. So I climbed in bed and started writing this which has helped, I do feel less anxious. But the intrusive thoughts are starting to depress me again, although they are manageable. 

5 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I am following this with interest, since my daughter is trying Prozac.  

Thank you for sharing in such detail.

It looks like you have ups and downs, but are feeling overall that it is helping? 

• Posted

Hi, I'm glad you are reading smile yes ups and downs but overall feel so much better, 90%! When did she start?
    • Posted

Day 38:

... No morning anxiety or diarrhea! Later on though I had light anxiety (butterflies in the stomach, lump in throat) but depression is gone. I'm still trying to work myself up to not be hesitant to do something relaxing, hopefully I'll be there soon!

• Posted

Day 39 (Sarurday, Dec. 5):

Wow. Today I actually wanted alone time for the first time in months! Today I didn't stress about time at all, although I did have occasional butterflies throughout the day. I almost forgot to take my medicine this morning! Had a great day smile

• Posted

Day 40:

Today was ok again, I had the butterfly feeling all day but was able to go to church! Calm settings had been triggering my anxiety but today that wasn't the case smile I got to set up a lot of things for my mom's huge 50th birthday party which is Saturday, so I think being so busy with Christmas and the party has helped ease my anxiety.

• Posted

Day 41:

Today was weirder than most of the previous days. I had trouble swallowing/ that choking feeling pretty much all day which sucks sad It feels like so much saliva is produced and I'm constantly thirsty. Also, I had the empty feeling in my stomach again, even after I ate a big meal! I'll take these over flu like symptoms any day but its still very annoying! I was driving most of the day with my grandma, to and from Orlando. But we had a great time talking and eating Korean bbq in the car smile But still, it was an off day.

• Posted

Day 42 (Tuesday, Dec. 8):

Today I woke up early to take my little brother to school. After that I took an online exam for class and then went with my grandma to the mall to do some holiday shopping. My anxiety today was ok, butterflies and the choking feeling, with occasional hopelessness sad But overall I was good. We went to my little brothers school for lunch, and later on I picked him and his twin sister up from school (separate schools). I made baked potato soup for the family for dinner, I love staying busy! It helps me forget the anxiety symptoms.

• Posted

Day 43:

I woke up feeling very strange, I had morning anxiety but a different kind today. My heart was racing, this has never been one of my main symptoms. Anyways, I was driving back and forth a lot today but still had the lump in my throat sensation as well as the empty stomach/butterflies feeling. I'm glad proxachas treated my depression, just wondering if it's not right for my anxiety. Xanax doesn't help at all!

• Posted

Day 44:

The weird word in day 43 should be Prozac!! Anyways, my mom was off work today so we tried to come up with a playlist for her party. I had a racing heart again today when I woke up sad Me, my mom, and grandma all had pho for lunch, and then I went to pick up my little brother. I remember that around 3 I started to feel anxious for no reason. Felt better at night as usual, but still a bit anxious.

• Posted

Day 45:

Woke up with racing heart again, so weird! Family members came in to town around 10 so that was good smile around 1:30 I started to feel really anxious as I was driving my aunt back home from the airport, don't know why. It seemed to gradually fade, and I felt much better at night!

• Posted

Day 46:

The day of the party I felt very good! Me and my little brother hang out a bit at the mall and then we went to the hotel, I didn't feel anxious really! I had lots of fun and danced, it was a great time smile

Day 47:

I had some anxiety when I went to the beach (because it's so peaceful, peaceful things make me anxious nowadays) and I felt anxious around 1. I kept worrying that I'm going to forget all the memories I make daily! Weird.

Day 48:

I had light morning anxiety, but around 1-4 my anxiety was getting bad. My grandma was there to help me though and we went out to eat and had fun, went to bed early around 9:45-10.

• Posted

Day 49:

This Tuesday was great! I woke up with very mild anxiety, and for most of the day I didn't feel anxious at all! I saw krampus with the family and had a good time with my cousin, and at night I was stressed about something but not anxious smile !

• Posted

Day 50:

I was very busy today driving around back and forth, and felt anxious and tired around 1:00. Luckily by 4:00 I didn't feel very anxious at all so that was good! But I did start falling alseep at 9:30...

• Posted

Day 51:

Thursday I had light anxiety which heightened around 1, but luckily faded around 3:20 smile

Day 52:

Friday wasn't too bad! I had a little anxiety but overall a good day smile

Day 53:

I felt butterflies for most of the day on Saturday, but it wasn't a terrible day. We decorated our house for Christmas, although a bit late haha.

Day 54:

Sunday was an ok day. I felt anxiety for most of the day, but it seemed to go away around 6. I saw the new Star Wars movie at that time so it probably distracted me a lot! Butterflies for most of the day sad

Day 55:

Today I woke up without much morning anxiety, but I kept feeling there wasn't enough time to do anything again. I had butterflies all day from around 10 am, and the empty stomach feeling happened too. At 9 I felt much better, but that is later then usual.

• Posted

She started this summer on 20mg., and it seemed to be helping, but when school started she seemed back at square one. So the doctor switched her to Celexa, but it made her sick, and she was missing school. So she went back on the Prozac, and increased it to 30mg two weeks ago, but not sure it is helping, and yesterday she had a pretty bad feeling of *overwhelmingness*. She is supposed to increase it to 40, but based on yesterday, I'm not convinced that is a good thing to do. Also, she got really sick when we first upped the dose and threw up, although that seems to have been a one time thing.

I am encouraged to read that you are feeling so much better. Makes me think she can hang in there a couple of more weeks --give it a little more time . . .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.