My kids r now at school, I want to work but cant work out how?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi My kids r now at school - Prep and Grade 1 and I want to work but cant figure out what I can do that will be worth it without putting my girls in before school care, after school care and vacation care in school holidays. The only solution i can see is trying to maybe study something and then create my own business so i can choose my own hours.

Its just if im to work full time the cost of care needed just doesnt work out worth it as i would have to start at the bottom minimum wage due to me being a stay at home mum for so long.

Anyone else gone thru this? Have any advice? Please! Thanks.

I know its not a health problem but reallly need some advice 

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I'm not sure if this will be of any help to you. First without knowing your work skills etc. it's hard to know what direction to point you in. But you could go through your local advertisements to see if there is anything available thta would be flexible with the children's scool schedule. If you have an interest that your passionate about than by all means you could research how to start up your own business and if you need to apply for any courses.This would allow you to work out your own schedule. It may take some time but could be well worth it in the long run. I really don't have any other suggestions other than to look into what you feel would be best for you and your family. All the best to you in whatever you choose to pursue.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer. Two things come to mind. When my children were both at primary school, I worked in a pre-school group. This fitted in perfectly with school hours/holidays and I really enjoyed it. When they were both at senior school, I went back to full time admin/accounts. Now I'm 55. The children are grown up. My health has gone on the turn! I now work at home doing computer admin for a local company. This allows me to control my hours and schedule. A word of caution though. Be careful about going online for 'working from home' work. There are a lot of scams about! Good luck. Much better for your girls to have you at home to care for them than being in 'after school' care. Hope you find something soon. Perhaps you should write a book lol!
    • Posted

Hey Debbie thanks for the comments. I really was surprised to see your last comment because to be honest I have been writing several books, a  novel, a poetry book and childrens books its just a matter of getting them published which is the issue and i dont have the money to self publish unfortunately. Anyway just thought it was funny smile
    • Posted

Hi Jennifer. I am a Psychic & palm reader! This sort of thing often happens. I assume you've got a copy of this years writer's and artist's handbook. When I was writing, some years ago, I found it an invaluable source. Good luck. Debbie.
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer,I am not sure that my answer will help you or not, because you dont explain your working skill in your question.But according to your question that your both childern are at primary school. So in this age you can work with an play school. because working time qnd vacation times of play school is match with your childerns school time and vacation time. So you have enough time to take care of your childerns.
  • Posted

Hi - I know exactly what you're going through...my children are just a little older and this was the year I told myself I'd go back to work!  Haven't applied for anything yet. (I have some medical treatments I didn't know I'd need - after I'm "fixed up", I'll be better able to dedicate the school hours to working)

I'm in the U.S. and one option here that may be good for you is to work in a local school (not where your children go). You can be a classroom aide or a part-time job in the lunch room - elementary schools often hire women to work for lunch and recess periods supervising children. You'd need to do well for the interview/s and pass background checks but no further education would be needed and training would be pretty quick/easy.  I'm sure it doesn't add up to much in terms of pay, but it's a way to build your new employment history and not have trouble with child care costs or schedules.

Some retail jobs may also have hours that work with yours. Also, medical offices may need very part time help and many don't seem to have weekend hours.  Summers would mean camps for your children, though, as I'm sure these jobs are year-round.

You say you "want" to work, but not why or what your previous employment has been. If you don't need a salary and benefits, stick to part-time work, at least for now. If you want to get out of the house to be productive and have other responsibilities, and you don't need the money, you can certainly find fulfillment through volunteer work. I've really enjoyed volunteering for years and I know I have skills and responsibilities that will help me when I do go back to work - it's really kept me sane (and only a little crazy, since volunteers can often pick and choose what to do and whom to be with, haha, not like a paid job)! Plus you build a little bit of a network and have "fresh" references.

If you give us more information, I'm sure others can give you more suggestions.

GOOD LUCK! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.