My knee made a cracking/popping sound at karate, what should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there,

I was asked to stand in a horse kiba dachi stance - a very exagarated horse riding stance - body weight is low with legs bent while body is upright.  My instructor stupidly wanted to test the strength of my stance and pushed with his foot strongly from behind on my left knee.  I guess my stance was stronger than my knee joint and there was a cracking/popping sound followed by my leg buckling.  I was able to walk off the buckling leg but overnight it is now more sore.  There isnt any obvious swelling or pain if I feel round the joint but it does cause some discomfort when I try to fully straighten. I'm not certain of the strength of my leg if I were to twist the leg.  I am also unable to walk normally without hobbling.  Please can anyone advise what I should do next.  I kept the joint cold but would like comment if it is worthwhile visiting my GP etc. my head tells me that time will cure because I have stretched the ligaments but would love to hear some advise!

Thanks in advance! 

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

You need your Gp and probably a referral to a Consultant pronto.

There is a type of exercise plan worked out for PMR & GCA patients and if you want it send me a PM.

The best exercise is walking (Nordic best of all), aqua aerobics and or swimming (neither are weight bearing) and power plates.   Unless the person dealing with you knows about PMR/GCA avoid it  - gentle exercise regularly  - nothing strenous.

• Posted

Thanks mrs k, will definately take you up on the exercise plan.  My knee has progressively improved over the last few days to the extent I was able to play a gentle game of badminton with a knee strap on.  I've still got a slight limp and my leg doesnt naturally fully straighten when standing.  If I will it, I can make it straighten.  I sit a desk alot and the knee becomes very stiff when I need to stand.  The area behind my knee at the back of my leg is not painful, I wouldnt descibe it as tender but is does feel mildy swollen. 

I'm going to the GP Saturday but they cant give me a set appointment grr.  Thanks for your reply smile

• Posted

Hi

I sent you a PM, look in your messages as I notice you have not yet read it.

• Posted

GP has requested an MRI for me.
    • Posted

Good.

Don't put everything down to PMR or Prednisolone. You can make big mistakes thinking that everything that happens is down to either of them.

If in doubt, check it out.   Let us know how you get on and I do hope it is nothing serious.

• Posted

Just an update. Still waiting for an MRI. There was a mix up and my appointment letter didn't arrive. This was very annoying because I had chased up my GP on the 2nd August to learn after ringing the MRI Department directly on the 15th that I had missed my appointment on the 7th.

Lesson learnt, I will ring the appointments dept direct.

I went to A&E earlier in the week due to knee twisting and not able to walk unsupported immediately after. It is fault because I played badminton and felt the knee go.

The doctor thought the injury is to my LCL.

Was given crutches but luckily didn't need them and have rapidly been able to hobble, then limp and finally walk again. Feeling quite blessed that I got away with my stupidity but it is so difficult letting the sports go.

Waiting MRI date now!

• Posted

I have a diagnosis;

Avascular necrosis of the femoral condyle

The MRI showed a crescent shaped piece of bone that had fractured.  I've been told not to do any impact sports for 12 to 18 months.  I have another MRI booked for 6 months time to monitor.

• Posted

I've had the check up MRI and have now been told by my GP I have a ruptured ACL....!  I have the opportunity to use my private health cover and have a consultant appointment this afternoon.
  • Posted

I need ACL reconstruction to get full mobility.  The consultant said the original MRI had been misread and showed the ruptured ACL in addition to bone trauma from the impact > Not AVN just a fracture which has now healed barring a small divot where the break was.  I have an the reconstruction op scheduled for Sept 5th which fits around mine and my work mates holidays.  I'm very interested in building up my quads? pre op and getting my leg muscles built up to aid recovery.

Should I follow the post op excercises or is there a better set of exercise i can follow as I have better mobility at the moment?

I have been swimming but can only do breast stroke, have also been on the rowing machine (2000m)  and cycle (15mins).

Thanks!

• Posted

I have an update if it will be of any use to someone in a similar place. I had ACL reconstruction using hamstring graft on Sat 5th (so one week ago) I was out same day of operation. My knee currently feels on track and pain free but I have bruising that developed three days ago. My calf,ankle and foot are very swollen. I think the tubular compression bandage was a size too small. This makes walking with crutches initially extremely painful. After a few painful minutes standing the calf and foot pain lessens and is manageable. I'm hoping that this will fade over time. I have first round of physio Monday (op+9) and staples being removed next Friday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.