my knees

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi to you all,

i have suffered in silence for many years with my knees, being ex forces (infantry) problems with knees it something we expect as the years go by. however it has now got to the point where I can only just make it through the day with the pains. my doctor has told me that I need both my knees replacing and it has got me worried. I have three op on my knees before and each time they have been worst after. I guess what I'm looking for is reassurance that I will be better off once they have been done. do I live with the pains or do I get them done.....

thank you for taking the time to read my post.

4 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I will be honest, if you had asked me this say six weeks ago I would have said don't do it.  Now things are much better snd are improving every day.   Those first weeks are very hard and painful.  Sleep deprivation is one of the hardest things.  Is it worth it?  Yes, now uI can say I am relatively psin free, walk further than I have for years and feel better altogether.  I would have it done again (I have to have the other one done anyway).  Only thing is have it done in spring or summer, winter months are hardest as you can't get out because of the weather.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.
    • Posted

thanks for that, it's just a daunting thought of having to go through it all

the sleep bit is not a prob as I don't get much sleep due to my knees anyway. I guess it just knowing that things will be better after, my fitness came to a grinding holt years ago and now at 50 if I don't get it back I never will. just to claim a flight of stairs without sounding old never mind about looking old would be a start.

• Posted

I would advise you to get your knees sorted. It will take a while to recover but as long as you stay positive and patient, and do the recommended exercises, it will be worth it in the end.

Good Luck.

• Posted

how long since you had yours done, and can you now do things you couldn't do before they were done...

sorry to throwe questions at you but I do need to get it in my head that it will be worth it.

• Posted

I had my left knee replaced 2 years ago and right one done 18 months ago . It must be at least 10 years since my GP first referred me for physio on my knee and then I had keyhole surgery on my left knee before having my TKR.  I can now walk as far as I want, climb ladders, do jobs about the house and garden that I have not been able to do for years. The only thing that I'm not very good at is kneeling - I can't come to terms with the strange sensation.

I would recommend TKRs to anyone who is suffering and wants a more active lifestyle,

• Posted

The surgery and recovery are both tough but the benefits are many! I feel like 15 years or more have evaporated and I have a new lease on life. I am 55 and one knee is a year old and the other is 3 months.go for it. You will be happy you did!

Mary

• Posted

I HAD MY RT KNEE DONE 8/2014....I AM 66 YRS OLD..I WAITED OVER 19 YEARS TO DO IT...I WAS A VERY BUSY FLOOR NURSE....I AM NOW RETIRED...THIS WILL BE A LOT OF WORK FOR YOU...YOU WILL GET VERY TIRED AND  SOMETIMES FEEL 'I SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAD THIS DONE!!!'...YOU MUST GET RIGHT INTO PHYSICAL THERAPY...AND EXERCISE WHEN IT HURTS....DO ALL THEY TELL YOU ..AND MORE ....WORK VERY HARD TO GET YOUR LIFE BACK ...YOU ARE SO YOUNG....IT WILL NEVER BE PERFECT...TODAY ,I AM BETTER OFF ...I WOULD  DO IT AGAIN...YOU CANT SIT ON THE PITTY POT...BUT YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT HOPE OF GETTING BETTER IF YOU WORK HARD...DO IT IN GOOD WEATHER SO YOU CAN GET OUT OF THE HOUSE...BEST WISHES FOR A FUTURE AND A LIFE ...MAMABEAR
    • Posted

thanks for that, I like the fact you say I am a young man.. you wouldn't say that if you saw me shuffling around on these knees. I've got to have them done because I'm out of options just need to know it will be better for my own morale and the hope of one day a good nights sleep
  • Posted

I was nursing 12 hr shifts but only 1 knee affected.

As for op its the best thing ever Go for it but not both together

• Posted

I am now 9 weeks post op. Male 58 years old. I shuffled around in agony daily for 2 years. This operation was the best thing I ever did, and my new (right) knee is awesome and I can now walk pain free and returned to ny job as a sales rep and delivery driver three weeks ago. The first couple of weeks can be a bitt tough, but follow all the advice and exercises you will be given and you will wonder why you didn't get this done sooner!

Best of luck

Timo

• Posted

I've had three operations on my left knee . .two arthroscopic operations and now the TKR.  the first operation was great, and lasted ten years. the second one was a disaster, and left me in much greater pain before, so I finally went for the replacement.  Unfortunately, you can't really learn from others' experience, because  everyone's experience will be different. . even the same person who has had both knees done says that the experience was different! Most people when they finally recover from the operation find that it gives them a new lease of life, but it is a long hard job, and certainly not a quick fix!  If the pain is unbearable as it is, maybe it's time for the op . . . 
  • Posted

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, like I said I'm all out of options with my knees so it's good to know that there a better life once I have recovered. The doctors are raring to go so I guess it's time to give them a thumbs up and get on with it..... I will come back to you guys once I have had it done as I'm am sure all your advice and encouragement can only help speed up the recovery proccess, until then thank you all.. and well..! watch this space...

Thank you all..

I will be having it done in either the QMC Nottingham or the Derby City

• Posted

Good luck to you! To prepare I recommend riding bicycle and doing aquacise and water physio to strengthen your quads and loosen up the leg muscles. It makes recovery easier and faster.

Cheers,

Mary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.