My knees are still dislocating. Why? What more can I do?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone, I'm 16 and have been having issues with both of my knee caps dislocating fairly easily for many years. It started about 5 years ago, mainly because I had lazy gamer legs at the time. About three years ago, I broke my wrist thanks to my weak legs and ended up doing therapy to strengthen them up a bit. Of course, I eventually got lazy again.

Fast forward to about a year ago, I got into road cycling and mountain biking and will soon be doing it competitively. I do 40-60 minutes of intense training five to six days a week. Because of this, I figured I was done with dislocations. But alas, my right knee dislocated after I jumped over a small mound of snow last month; A simple action which shouldn't cause anyones knee to blow out. Aside from that painful event, I've noticed that my knees still "almost" pop out just by lightly bumping them, or by bending my leg in perfectly normal ways. 

At this point, I'm not sure what else I could possibly do to stop my knees from dislocating. The only thing I can think of is that the tendons in my legs are tight? Stretching is one thing that I never do.  In fact, my hamstrings are so tight that I can barely bend over when I prop a leg up. This is very frustrating for me because I have developed somewhat of a phobia of doing anything that might cause a dislocation, and it's keeping me from doing the fun things I'd like to do. Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 


0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

  • Posted

    First and foremost, you need to go to an orthopedic doctor for examination. From there, request that he write a script for you to see a physical therapist. The PT will give you strengthening and stretching exercises to help eliminate or greatly reduce your issue. In addition to treatment from the PT, the doctor may also have remedies (surgical or otherwise) that can help you.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    First, what does your SPORTS orthopedic surgeon say?  He/she's gotta be the one to diagnose the cause of this on-going condition.  There must be a reason.  If it's fixable by surgery, fix it.

    I say surgery because you've obviously done all the exercising to make the muscles supporting the knee as strong as possible and it's still dislocating on you.  Then again, without knowing the exact cause, maybe there are other exercises you aren't doing.  Don't know.  I do know that I had a friend in my squadron in the Air Force back in the 60's who continuously dislocated his shoulder UNLESS he kept up with certain exercises.  If he slacked off..."pop".  Again, a SPORTS ortho should guide you.

    Finally, if nothing can be done or if you don't want to do any surgery, consider a professional DonJoy.  The best on the planet.  Go to their website and get the number for your local rep.  Tell them your problem.  They gotta have a brace that can help you.  I'm 2 years post-op on my TKR.  Once I'm strong and balanced enough, I want to get back on my skates (45+ years of hockey).  I know that I cannot play competitively again but I'd just like to go for a leisurely skate.  Problem: twisting my knee is a major no-no.  I called my DonJoy rep to see if they had a brace for my particular purpose...a brace that would NOT let the knee torque at all.  Yup...their Defiance model (pic).  I'm sure they'd have a model for you.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I would see your Physio therapist urgently and your Consultant who previously saw you for hourbkneed. You are very young for this to be happening and you shouldn’t have this. Good luck 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I had the same problem with my knees stating at roughly the same age as you started having problems with yours. I am now 67. I have had several operations. Right patella removed. Left patella pinned and more recently (6 years ago) left knee replaced.

    Physiotherapy certainly helps.

    I think you need to see your GP and ask to be referred to an orthopaedic consultant. These are really the only people qualified to advise you what to do and they will suggest an operation if they think it would help.

    I know how difficult it can be being worried about it happening again because I was exactly the same.

    Good luck with all this.

    Take care and eo keep in touch


    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up