My lab test score

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 76-year-old lady, just had my yearly and my thyroid was 5.517 H  and I have been tired never had this before and my doc. said will watch it and she never scheduled another appointment, I went to the health store and they gave meTri-Iodine 25 mg so take one a day now.Feel some better my legs are not so weak feeling I have also been getting some nightly cramps in my legs? So can you give me any advice usually pretty much a young 76-year-old active gal.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am assuming when you say your thyroid was 5.517 that you meant your TSH level was that as this is what docs usually check.  Was it your TSH level?  A high TSH means HYPOTHYROIDISM, not HYPERTHYROIDISM which is what this Board is for.  (I know this is confusing because we always associate a high level in most things as being hyper but in thyroid it is just the opposite i.e. a low or non-existent level means excessive thyroid hormone and a high figure means just the opposite).  There is another Board for Hypothyroidism and you will probably get more answers there for your condition.
  • Posted

I to am a usually active person who recently has been totally miserable keep saying I need a happy switch. I am always tired no enthusiasm for anything people keep saying I need a holiday but I just wouldn't attempt to go on one. I have regular liver checks due to a medication  I take and it threw something up about my pituatary gland and thyroid doc wasn't concerned said we would keep an eye think my reading was 4. I eventually asked about symptoms and he mentioned tiredness I asked if it was worth me starting some meds for thyroid he gave me them however haven't started taking yet as need more convincing. Also my voice was starting to reduce in volume every now and then mid conversation felt like I need a volume switch.Having pushed him with a list of all my worries I have had umpteen blood tests taken for which I get results tomorrow in the meantime I am off for a scan on my neck this morning as I had a mysterious swelling around my collarbone

area the other day and he wants that investigated too. Just feel like something

somewhere is not right. Frightened for the results I have to admit but feel aggrieved that I have had to push to try and help myself. Feel doctors are not as they used to be. Will update when I know more. I was starting to feel like a hypochondriac as I was at the docs so much but as the apps are only 10 mins

they only have time to discuss one worry at a time

• Posted

Hi nancy85556, at times I also experience cramps during the night. This can happen if your Magnesium level is low. When I had cramps it has helped me to apply Magnesium Oil to my legs.

Magnesium is very well absorbed through the skin, while Magnesium taking orally may cause gastrointestinal problems. 

Magnesium Oil is a saturated solution of Magnesium Chloride Hexahydrate (also knowns as Zechstein Magnesium flakes). It feels oily, similar to the water of the Dead Sea. You can buy the Mg Oil ready-made in a spray bottle or easily prepare it by dissolving Mg flakes in water.

Mg is similar to Calcium. Any surplus is excreted via the kidneys. The recommended daily allowance is about 300 - 400 mg.   

Regarding dosage:

4 ml of Magnesium Oil (31%) corresponds to a dosage of 412 mg pure Magnesium.

My dosage was 1ml at a time up to 3 times a day. 

Avoid applying Mg Oil to broken or irritated skin. When applying it for the first time, I would recommend to try it on a small patch and see how your skin reacts. 

Hope this helps somewhat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.