My Laparoscopic myomectomy experience

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all, I am currently week 4 post op and wanted to share my experience because when I was looking into having this surgery any little advice I could have from this board and others was amazing.

I was diagnosed with 5 submucosal fibroids that were located at the back of my uterus and one at the top. After seeing 2 consultants (1 private and 1 NHS) they both advised me that I would need an open myomectomy due to their sizes (all between 6-4 cm). The private doctor never bothered sending me a quote for the operation and the NHS waiting list I was told would be 6 months. I was horrified by the thought of living with constant lower back pain and heavy periods so I decided to speak to some friends in Germany and I was booked for a myomectomy privately within a week in Berlin. When I got there, the consultant did a new scan and stated that all the fibroids were located in one area therefore I was a candidate for a laparoscopic surgery. I was in shock as this was never mentioned to me previously and the recovery would be of course easier. The consultant told me they would first insert a camera in the womb and if they can’t find any other fibroids they would proceed with the laparoscopy otherwise it would have to be an open myomectomy. I woke up after the surgery in a lot of pain and the consultant confirmed it was done laparoscopically however they found 10 fibroids. The pain was like period pains but more severe but I was given medication straight away. I had 4 incisions, 1 in the belly button, 1 on each side of my abdomen and the largest was at the bikini line, about 3cm. I had 2 drainage bags inserted in the incisions on each side of my abdomen. These were to collect blood left after the operation at the front and at the back of the uterus. I also had a catheter. I lost a lot of blood during the operation so I was been monitored closely and was given a pouch of liquid iron through my IV.

The first 2 days were difficult, I didn’t move as I was still very weak and in a lot of pain. I didn’t eat anything for over 24h however as soon as I was able to eat, I had terrible wind I couldn’t release which was extremely painful. I was drinking a lot of peppermint tea and the nurses gave me something to help. My catheter and both drainage bags were removed on the 3rd day and I was able to take my first steps. I felt very weak and dizzy which is due to the blood loss. I was no longer on strong painkillers by day 4 and was able to do number 2, which was very painful. They also removed my bandages on the 4th day as they incisions were closed. I was able to see them and they were very small. I am still in shock on how much he was able to remove through these small holes.

Coughing and laughing during the first week was painful. I stayed in hospital for 7 days but this was due to the fact that I don’t live I Germany and the consultant wanted to make sure I was ok before releasing me. I was able to fly back to London 1 week after being released from hospital and was given blood thinner injections from the day after the operation until I flew back. They gave me the ones I could inject myself. I was also given iron tablet to build my iron back.

2 weeks after the operation, I was able to walk for 1h at a time and do basic things around the house, however I was still weak and tired. During the 1st 2 weeks, you will be napping a lot. I got my 1st period 3 weeks post op and OMG it was very painful. I felt like my lower back was on fire. This lasted the first two days. I didn’t have any heavy bleeding despite the pain I was feeling. I am now 4 weeks post op and going back to work on reduced hours for the 1st week. I hope I haven’t forgotten anything.

As everyone said, each case is different and the method used for the fibroids’ removal definitely depends on the location of the fibroids and the consultant.

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thankyou so much for sharing your experience. I wished lived in Germany. Where in Germany did you have your myomectomy? I have 4 large fibroids ,one as big as a grapefruit. My uterus is like a 5 month pregnancy, very enlarged. iam considering a hysterectomy because its seems like an easier surgery and iam scared of bleeding out. I live in Gilbert Arizona if anyone has a good suggestion for a doctor here?

• Posted

So sorry you have to go through all these.

You are strong well done.

I had irregular period and it was coming out in bulk i am due next week to see team.

I rather stay in uk and sort it out hopefully i will get through it.

• Posted

Wow!!!! That's awful that you would've had to wait 6 months, had you not flown to Germany!

My wait time was 6 weeks for the soonest surgery date. The hospital was a convenient, local hospital that has an excellent reputation. HOWEVER, I live in the U.S. Had I not had excellent insurance through my employer, it would've been a completely different story.

I have a yearly in-network deductible of $750, after which everything is covered. (I am SO lucky that this particular hospital and all the providers were in-network, otherwise the deductible would've been $3,000.) Good thing, because my anethesia bill was $6,000 and my hospital stay (surgery included) totaled $34,000!

• Posted

I should probably mention that I had an open myomectomy. A laparoscopic one may have been less expensive?

• Posted

Hi, thanks for sharing this! So if you worked from home you still feel like you couldn't have worked for 2 weeks? I'm worried about my job and I'm alone with no help. How do you feel now? Are you glad you got the surgery? Is your stomach back to normal?

• Posted

hi everyone just wanted to share my experience as before I had my surgery these kind of forums really helped. i was diagnosed with a fibroid a few years back. it eventually got big to the point of causing me problems. Towards the end I looked 28 weeks pregnant. I was scared off surgery but kept putting it off. Anyway I finally decided to have it done and it was scheduled for 1st May 2019. I'm now 3 days post op and doing well. A very ksrch fibroid was removed, 18cm and another 5cm. The surgery was a success and the surgeon even said when I get pregnant i would be able to have a vaginal delivery. Anyone who's scared of the surgery, don't be. Best thing Ive ever done.

• Posted

You had laproscopic with a fibroid that large? My OBGYN said when mine was around 11cm she'd have to do open probably. Also did they ever tell you it might be an adenomymoma? Thanks!

• Posted

congrats on a successful surgery. What type of surgery did you have?

• Posted

I had an open myomectomy with a vertical cut from above the belly button to the top if the bikini line

• Posted

Oh thanks. Yeah I really don't want open because the recovery time is like 3 times as long.

• Posted

Thats so great to hear! i have been putting it off because it is scary. Where did you have your surgery? Who is your Doctor?

• Posted

I'm not sure where you're based but I'm in England and had it done at Birmingham Women's hospital. The surgeon was dr Jeve.

• Posted

i am really suffering i started with prostaps injection to help in shrinking since december 2018 and i should not be bleeding because it is an early menopause injection to shrink before surgery.

I have been in utlovan since last oct been in and out of A&E due to bleeding since march.

I have been told they will remove my womb as i have cyst in ovaries which is not a problem and polyp i have refused this as i am 41yrs of age.

I am also using tranexamic acid and cocodamol to stop pain as mefenamic acid has not been helpful.

I am from london but i moved to south wales to study nursing since 2017. They do not have doctors for key hole surgery any more (embolisation).

I have started having spotting as the bleeding would not stop completely but its not heavy but its likely to start if i stop utlovan. I must urged my gyenecologist to refer me to birmingham while i enquire with your surgeon.

Thanks Lisa

• Posted

iam in Gilbert Az, near Phoenix. i wish i knew if a great Doctor here that could do an open Myomectomy. can anyone recommend one?

• Posted

Hi there! I've been researching forums with experiences for myomectomies. I too am in the Phoenix area and was wondering if you ended up having an open myomectomy or laparoscopic. My laparoscopic myomectomy is scheduled for Nov 15th at Mayo...They actually have a fibroid clinic. Curious what your experience has been

• Posted

How did your surgery go? I'm getting mine this upcoming March 1

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.