my laparoscopic partial hysterectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I took the plunge and did it. I had my laparoscopic partial hysterectomy on 7 March. I was a lot better than I had imagined. In fact if I had known I would have done it months ago! My doctor was great and I was up and walking within the day. I went home 24 hours later. 

I find it a little hard not being able to do anything at home.... plus my belly looks about 5 months pregnant! I am also scared to start pelvic exercises...

Any advice on way to recovery is welcome! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Just walking around your home and out in the garden is going to give you all the exercise you need at this early stage.

I'm sure you were told nothing more than a cup of tea, do you lift, under no circumstances lift anything heavy, you will still be healing inside even if you cannot see it.

Check with your Dr's if you want to start any exercises, but some years ago if i remember it was 6 weeks, than you can go for your life.

I have a scar that runs from my waist to my pelvis, so may be a little bigger than yours, but in my case they were chasing a cancer.

Best thing I ever did, not that I had any choice, all happened very quickly once D & C showing cancer cells.

• Posted

Well it sounds like you've had a good start to your recovery.  I had a vaginal hysterectomy 2 years ago and I was also amazed at how easy it was.  I was taking short walks outside after a few days and made a really good recovery with no problems and no pain.  The only think I would warn you about is that because you feel so well you think you are back to normal and are tempted to do too much.  I had a heavy bleed at two weeks caused by simply twisting down to remove a plug from a socket.  Within a couple of hours I was bleeding heavily and it really frightened me.  Your internal stitches do take a while to heal and I had torn some.  I did have a bladder repair as well as the hysterectomy and this involves quite a lot of stitches that I had not realised.  So just be aware of any bending or twisting.  I know they tell you not to lift things but I wasn't advised to avoid awkward movements.

Good luck with your full recovery.  I was back to running after 6 weeks and when I think of the discomfort I was in before, I also think that the op was the best thing I had ever done!

All the best

Shani

• Posted

Hi, Shani!

I remember your posts about your heavy bleed!  I'm glad that you're doing much, much better! xx

Lynda

• Posted

Hi Lynda

Thanks for your comment.  I'm doing fine. Still running. Hoping to do a half marathon in May - not done one for about 15 years!

Hope you are in good health too.

Shani xx

• Posted

Hi Shani,

Glad to know you're doing fine!  I hope you get to do your half marathon!  

I'm doing well, trying to get back on track with all my health stuff.  Do a bit more each day.

Lynda xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.