my left foot in 2 days. Absolutely terrified

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there. I'm due to have SCARF and an osteotomy on my left foot in 2 days. I'm absolutely terrified. Have read and heard so many terror stories of extreme pain. I've have bunions on both feet but my left has given me do much go over the last few years causing me to put more strain on my right foot which now seems to hurt more then the one that I'm having surgery on. My anxiety and fear over everything to do with this surgery is cropping je. My I've been a year going through the process and it seems so long since my appointment with the consultant, I fear I didn't ask the right questions. I'm scared of what they will do. Hate the thought of having bones cut abd fear of never being to walk again. Can anyone help with their experiences? Is it worth having this operation. I didn't even know about the minimal surgery until very recently and I don't think it's available here in the channel islands. I've had so many sleepless nights with worry

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Please don't worry, my left foot was also done. Had bunion removed and toe next to big toe has also been cut to remove middle part of bone , this toe had become disfigured and is now straight and to be honest I was in no pain after op. Did not take any pain relief.

Everyone is different on recovery. I am in week 10 now, driving and walking after 6 weeks. Yes I was walking with a limp and was thinking this will never get better but at week 10 definitely better.

My foot is still swollen but this can take upto 6 months to a year to calm down.

Keep the foot elevated as much as possible. Elevation is the main benefit for this op.

You may have to wear bigger shoes for a while, I am a size 5 but wearing a size 6.

My left foot looks great without the bunion and in time my right will be done.

You will be fine, plenty of rest and enjoy your new foot

• Posted

Hi

I have had both my bunions done separately over the past couple of years. I've not looked back. My feet were UGLY. I had mine done at north Tyneside hospital in Newcastle and had the minimally invasive procedure.

Can honestly say it was nothing like I imagined. I'd heard horror stories too. I didn't even feel the need for pain killers. After a week I felt some sore pain under my toe nail but that's as bad as it Got! I had an ankle block and sedation. It was a doddle.

The worst thing was wearing the wedge show for 6 weeks and not being able to drive when I had my right one done but I drove after 2 weeks with left foot as I have an automatic. That's my experience but I had minimally invasive. You can't even see my scars at all now. I can wear lovely sandles and not be embarrassed by my feet anymore. I can walk and run no problem. I have excellent range of motion in my big toes too. Couldn't be happier. I live in Jersey now but I couldn't recommend my surgeon or the hospital more highly where I had it done in the UK.

• Posted

The op was not nearly as bad as people led me to believe in fact although undoubtedly uncomfortable I didn’t find it painful at all. So I would not stress yourself  too much. Take the pills and follow the instructions re keeping your feet up. The one thing I would say is that my recovery has not been as quick as I would have liked but then they do warn you that it can take up to a year. I wish you good luck!
  • Posted

Hi Tracey there’s no getting away from the fact it’s a painful procedure but is easily managed with painkillers and doing exactly what your surgeon tells you which will be I’m sure keep foot elevated and rest.   Is it worth it?  - Yes, yes, yes!     I had a bunion and hammertoe fusion last year and the other one this year and I’ve not regretted it one bit.

Just do exactly as you’re told and you’ll be fine!

good luck and keep us posted.

Jane

• Posted

Just remember every one is different and all depends on which surgeon you have and what type of procedure. I was so scared of the pain side but like I say I didn't need any painkillers but I took them as a precaution. I was so fed up with the pain stories and now i feel mad people scated me when i had nothing to be svared about!! I did have the nerve block in my ankle so maybe that helped keep any discomfort away. Just keep it elevated and just keep on top of pain medication and you'll be fine. It will all be worth it in the end. Where are you getting it done? Are you having a General?

• Posted

I had a bunionectomy done on 3/7, and to be honest I’m still waiting on the pain to come! I haven’t felt any pain yet, my stitches come out on Monday but I’m yet to feel pain. I don’t think it’s as bad as you think so don’t be afraid!
  • Posted

Hi Tracey. Please do not worry. Yes it can be painful at first but Thank God there are pain killers to ease the pain. Besides everyone is different when it comes to tolerance of pain. I would suggest you keep informing us all after your op. and I am sure we will all be here to advise you . I have had my op almost 7 weeks ago and I do sometimes wonder whether I will get better but when I read the comments in this forum my mood always changes to the better. Wish you luck.

• Posted

Good luck Tracey, Just remember we all seemed to find this page because we are going through it, or have got to go through it. I am very nervous too and I've still got a few months to wait for the op, -by the time I have mine you should be through it all. I hope all goes well. keep us updated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.