My leg is very swollen a week after my hip replacement. Is this normal

Posted , 6 users are following.

my leg is very swollen still a week after my hip replacement . is this normal ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

Hello Ann,

Leg swelling , is normal for many of us after hip replacements .

Ice for 40minutes as often as you can . Do bed exercises and walk when your not in pain. A air pump for leg is available on A m aZon. They are inexpensive and easy to put over the op leg for calf and thigh. The pump gently squees the swollen leg to relieve pressure and increase blood flow. Will definitely decrease pain and a better sleep immediately. It's all quite exhausting, try to drink protein shakes to help recharge your batteries.

Most pain is now almost certainly temporary. Control discomfort by rest, ice, elevate leg .Also important to take your pain medications by prescription schedule not when pain starts!

Do what you want to do. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the twenty four hours after doing it, don't do it again.

PT or exercise can be useful , take note these exercises can not increase healing any faster but over doing can cause pain and set backs. All hips need to heal is walking.

Sending healing blessings your way.

• Edited

I'm 3 months post-op and still have slight swelling around the upper thigh area. My biggest problem is my post-op leg is longer than my other leg. Today, the surgeon said don't use inserts in my short leg - give it more time. Unfortunately my back and knees are painful enough for me to see a pain management doctor next week.

• Edited

sometimes the pelvic bone is tilted, called lateral tilt. my new hip leg is slightly shorter and I had this problem in the past where this side is tilted up so the leg is a little off the ground when standing straight on the other leg. I will ask my surgeon about having an xray to verify. You tube has many videos to help correct the tilt and various causes.

• Posted

im 8 days post op. I ice as much as possible (30 mins on 30 mins off for at least 6-8 hours a day). It helps immensely with pain and swelling.

• Posted

I found putting my leg on a pillow in bed at night helped reduce the swelling. It's perfectly normal to be swollen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.