My life is a nightmare since GB surgery

Posted , 49 users are following.

Hi. I had my gallbladder surgery 15 months ago and it has been the most frighten time of my life. I live day to day in pain, fear, anxiety, hopeless, down. If it wasn't for my 16 month old baby I wouldn't want to live no more I think.

It started with painful  esophageal spasms ,chest / stomach burning for over a year.  All this time I was constantly worried and saw lots of doctors. Finally when I thought I was getting better I start having weird abdominal pain with lots of nausea, which  has been diagnosed as inflammation in the stomach area. Taking PPI at the moment. I'm so worried again because I read it can be bile gastritis which is chronic sad and very painful. I forgot to say I had a MRI two weeks prior before pain started and it was normal?!

Has anyone got gastritis a year or so after cholecystectomy and found out bile was the cause? If so, how is it treated and does it work? I read it's hard to treat it, and diet doesn't help either. I can't sleep I'm so nauseated and worried. It seems I am not going to be normal ever again. I only wish that this is only a nightmare I'm about to wake up from.. Thank you.

4 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Hang in there, you’re not alone.  MDs now call this collection of symptoms  Postcholecystectomy Syndrome (read the wiki page). The younger you have the surgery, and if you’re female the greater your chances are to develop it (3x). An average of 10-14% will develop some or all of the  symptoms post-op.

I will share what my doctors did, what WORKED and what didn’t next. (Sorry for the length in advance). 

I had my surgery in 2000 , before they knew all these symptoms were related (and real) and suffered 3 years. I had  diarrhea , constipation , stomach acid (now know it’s stomach bile), stomach & GI pains, burning throat, hiatal hernia, coughing at night, severe weight loss (looked like a famine victim) and unable to gain weight. 

Healing was slow , to solve the middle and lower stomach pains, GI tract pains, constipation, diarrhea: 

-no dairy 2 months (didn’t solve it)

-no fatty foods 2 months (didn’t solve it)

-no dairy or fat 2 months (didn’t solve it)

-an antidepressant for 3-6 months while avoiding dairy and fat. IT WORKED! The doctor had seen this post-op symptom before and had success with a short term antidepressant when diet alone didn’t resolve it. His logic was the GI tract gets stressed-out/anxious trying to function without the necessary gallbladder, and so to help the muscles  and GI tract relax and eat a minimally taxing diet while it heals and finds a new way to process your food.  It worked in 4 months, but stayed with it for 6 months. 

= follow up see last Paragraph

Healing was slower for the hiatal hernia, bile/acid reflux, coughing, upper stomach pains: 

-acid heartburn purple pill 18 months (didn’t help at all because it actually is liver/pancreas bile not stomach acid causing the burn)

-cough suppressant pill because the doc thought I had psychosomatic coughing - jerk (didn’t help at all) 

-sleeping with 4-5 pillows to raise my head ( helped reduce night time burn/cough, but didn’t heal it)

- not eating 4 hours before bed (helped reduce bile reflux experienced at night as food in the stomach has been processed)

-minimized greasy, heavy, rich, sugary, fatty foods, and alcohol (reduced bile reflux and stomach pains a lot)

- 2.5 years of time HEALED the hiatal sphincter (muscle at the top of the stomach that keeps acid and bile from going up the throat) and the coughing and burning stopped.

Summary I believe the hiatal  muscle gets stretched out when the surgeon over inflates the stomach cavity during the operation to make it easier to perform. Which means a smaller younger female would get over inflated the most. The bile, liver, pancreas, GI tract may also be a casualty of over inflating during kathriscooic surgery as this syndrome does not happen with tradition surgery when they cut open the body.  

The  Follow-Up 2018 - I’m feeling good and regular (ha ha).  Ice ceam and cheese are once a month instead of daily, and deep fried foods are always avoided.  Gained weight and returned to a healthy size after 18 months with weights and exercise.

Because it is the pancreas/liver bile  causing the upper stomach pains and reflux I am kind to my pancreas and liver, which I now call my  “party” organs. They process sugar, fat and alcohol so I try to minimize all three.  I want a long and healthy pain free life,  and I will need a happy liver and pancreas to succeed without a gallbladder.  The End 

• Posted

Hi LakerGirl, your story give me the hope back to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have all this issues after my GB was removed in Dec 2016. I´d love to hear more details about the antidepressant treatment in order to try if that may work for me. I´m from Mexico so not sure if I can find a doctor here that takes or accept the take that approach but definitely would like to know about your sucesss story. I´d really apprecite if you can email me at or willing to share your contact data with me so I can contact you.

Thanks in advance!! 

Emmanuel

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi LakerGirl

So wanted to see how you are doing today. I had my GB out in 2016 and things have not been normal. Everyone chalks it up to anxiety but I swear something isn’t right, even though I had an upper GI endoscopy in January of 2018 and it was good.

It’s all super frustrating to feel pain like this.  I just want to wake up happy and not feel like crap all the time. Plus I don’t want these symptoms to lead to anything more serious. I’ve got two kids and hubby I want to be around for the long haul.

• Posted

I am a little over a month post op gallbladder removal and have all these exact symptoms. They have me on Linzess to help with abdominal pain, Nexium for acid in my gut and Dicyclomine for esophageal spasms. The worst side effect for me is the horrible chest/heartburn pain the makes it very hard for me to breath when I have an episode. Did any meds help for you?

• Posted

the thing that really helped most for me with bile reflux (pain in stomach and in my upper back), cramps and diarrhea was QUESTRAN which is a bile binder (cholestyramine). please ask to try it, you will feel a difference in less than ten days.

• Posted

Leni75. How are you today? I had surgery7 months ago and going through what you went through.
  • Posted

Hi Leni,

I know its been awhile since you posted but wanted to ask if you are better? I am experiencing something similar after gallbladder removal. Hope you are better now!

• Posted

I WORKED WITH Dr PRIEST by phone at LIFEWORKS In KANSAS CITY. Functional Med doctor. FANTASTIC. SOLVED ALOT OF DIGESTIVE ISSUES POST GALLBLADDER REMOVAL.

• Posted

i had gb out three years ago and suffered the post cholecystectomy symptoms. it gradually sent away in the main, with careful diet. suddenly now after dr put me on anti depressant it has returned, no pain, just irritated bowel, very smelly yellow stools with loose movements. i am on liquid soup and plain crackers hoping its a flare up. can you tell me what kind of diet has helped you?

• Posted

I never had loose yellow stools but wondering if that's bile? Is it worse when you eat something with fat in it? If so, you may need a type of salt that absorbs bile (I can't remember the name of it but your doctor or other would know). check your VITAMIN D level!!! without gallbladders we can't absorb vit d properly. with low vitamin D, depression flares. Not sure why anti-depressant would trigger though?

• Posted

You are not the ownly one who fells that way.

I hade my galbladder revomoved in augest 28 2018 didnot help anything just aid other problum that is treatable and i keep on going to doctor they deney that they caused this prouble.

I did not have this problume befor galblader surgary. I am about to loss my housing and indepence because of this. I Did not have pain befor galbladder surgary now i have it alot.

I wish i did not get my galblader. however in your cause you may want to talk to gastor intorolgist becease you may have i hital hernia. i had one of thouse in the past and that is treatable.

• Posted

Beta Plus by BIOTICS is incredibly heloful. I was on PPIs and they made be horribly nauseaus. Turns out my HcL was too LOW not too high so I now take (after a slow wean of PpIS)

1-2 BETA PLUS with any meals with fat

3 HcL per meal

i wish someone had told me what to take 3 yrs ago. HOPE THIS HELPS YOU THOUGH!

• Posted

Not sure if your feeling any better yet, but I am 7 months post OP. I felt pretty good for a couple weeks after the surgery then started getting very acidic. Gastritis, Heartburn, acid reflux, acid sh*ts ect.... I then cut out all dairy, ANYTHING that had milk in it. I then started getting back to normal. No more heartburn, poop was back to normal. I am an advocate for doing my own research and trying different solutions. Doctors dont always have the answers and you can spend so much money on testing and still not be any closer to a diagnosis. Hope this helps, just remember dont give up!!!!!

• Posted

i understand i had my gallbladder removed 6 months ago and feel no better. doctors fo nothing hospitals ignore you people dont understand. ive tried everything lansaprasole does nothing nexium bought over counter is just as bad, i visited my Gap 4 times within a month and i got fed up if hearing take gaviscon because that does nothing, apparently it gets better but i know it took my mothers work colleague 3 years i dont think theres anything you can do about it there isnt an organ there anymore so i dont think there is a magic cure just be kind and patient to yourself. i used to get angry because i couldnt do what i wanted but all you can do is do your best. i would make an appointment with a good doctor maybe one who listens x

• Posted

it's the bile in excess - some people dont tolerate that at all. no more gallbladder and bile is free flowing around.

i was like that.

solution: ask to be but on QUESTRAN (=cholestyranine) and take it half a pack at night before bed in orange juice

works like a charm

start slowly as it can give some constipation

a few months of it did the trick for me.

hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.