My little fight with pityriasis rosea

Posted , 5 users are following.

Here is my little story with this little demon that is pityriasis rosea. I am a hypocondric and I have anxiety, needless to say this was a very difficult disease to go through. It's so hard to understand and it progresses slowly.

TL;DR: Tanning seems to work. Go tanning asap and find out if it works for you.

Week 1

I notice I am scratching my hips after getting out of the shower. a few days later a dozen of small patches appear on my abdomen. They look like mosquito bites, they itch slightly. I get worried, I thought they were flea or bed bug bites. My flea trap turned out unsuccessful so I then thought it might be an allergic reaction. I started to take Benadryl, it seemed to help slightly. The patches start to spread slowly. I go see a pharmacist who recommends that I go see a GP.

Week 2

GP diagnoses me with pityriasis rosea, even though there is no herald patch. She tells me to just wait it out. I can't accept that so I google around some alternative treatments. I start taking cold showers since hot water exacerbates the redness and itching. I started taking daily supplements of vitamin C & D. I tried the head & shoulders regimen, I tried aloes, coconut oil, zinc ointment. Nothing is really working. The patches spread up my torso, down to the hips, and arms.

Week 3

I had read that tanning might help. Now being kind of a nerdy guy I had never done that and I obviously didn't fit in the typical clientele of a tanning salon, and with all the bad things we hear about tanning I was quite stressed out about going there. But I built up the courage to go anyway. The first session I did 5 minutes in a stand up bed. About 2-3 hours later the patches were way redder, but the next morning it seemed to have gotten better. I give it another try 2 days later. Same thing, got way redder but the next morning it had gotten quite better than before the tanning. It was working! The rash was still spreading down my inner thighs and onto my inner arms, and even in my armpits. I did another tanning session 2 days later.

Week 4

I did another 3 tanning sessions 2 days apart, trying to expose my inner thighs and inner arms to the light, as they were covered with the fresher rashes. It seemed to work, but not as much. It looks like when the scabs enter the healing process the uv light does not help as much. A dozen patches scabbed on my inner thighs.

Week 5

I stop the tanning sessions. There doesn't seem to be any new rashes. I take my first hot shower in a couple weeks. the hot water brings back some of the redness but it goes away.

Now into week 8, it's about 95% gone. I have some scar marks on my inner thighs that are still going away slowly.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Here is a picture of it at its absolute worst.
  • Posted

Hi Martin,

many thanks for sharing your 'in-depth' PR treatments with us.    Hopefully you are progressing nicely towards getting rid of your rash/spots/ etc. with the scars fading from the inside of your upper thighs. 

?Others in these blogs have given their advice about sun-beds / tanning sessions as being beneficial too.  So hopefully your information will help those reading this. 

?Your advice re the use of creams or shampoos, are repeated by others too, and some people might find them helpful.

?May I just add that after contracting PR myself nearly eight months ago, (suffering with the rash/spots, but thankfully no itching), I did get a very sore and ulcerated mouth - losing my taste buds completely...which was horrible. 

?I am now trying out some ' prreeze'  cream, that my son ordered from America. ( please be warned it attracts 'Customs Tax' which is quite high) if you do not live in America)  Fingers crossed this works as mentioned by others for PR, and the product manufacturers  actually say it is made especially for those suffering from PR.

?I look forward to informing others of its usefulness, and thank those who were able to give tips of how to deal with this horrible affliction.

May you continue to improve and get your life back to normal.

• Posted

Cool. So, basically, since it lasts from 6 to 12 weeks, it probably ran its course. Wasn't that first shower after great?

The skin discolorations are not scars, because they just fade into skin tone like they were never there. A coupe of weeks, and you will be just fine.

I live in South Texas and paint house exteriors, I had PR for 14 months. If sunlight/tanning had helped, I don't think I would have had it for more than 2 minutes.

• Posted

Remedy that WORKED!!I also suffered from Pityriasis Rosea. What worked for me within days!

1. I took vitamin D 2000mg

2. Showered in cool water with Selsun Blue Medicated Shampoo ( morning & evening)

3. Moisturized skin with coconut & tea tree oil ( twice a day)

4. Did Photo therapy treatments ( not tanning booth) twice a week.

I believe it was the Photo therapy sessions ( 2-3 min) that were the remedy. By that evening of my 1st treatment the breakouts started drying up! The itching was GONE after the 2nd treatment. I had a total of four 2-3 min treatments. After that I continued to moisturize with "Eucerin Professional Repair" because the breakout areas were dry and dark...Within a week after stopping PhotoTherapy my skin was back to normal!!

• Posted

Remedy that WORKED!!I also suffered from Pityriasis Rosea. What worked for me within days!

1. I took vitamin D 2000mg

2. Showered in cool water with Selsun Blue Medicated Shampoo ( morning & evening)

3. Moisturized skin with coconut & tea tree oil ( twice a day)

4. Did Photo therapy treatments ( not tanning booth) twice a week.

I believe it was the Photo therapy sessions ( 2-3 min) that were the remedy. By that evening of my 1st treatment the breakouts started drying up! The itching was GONE after the 2nd treatment. I had a total of four 2-3 min treatments. After that I continued to moisturize with "Eucerin Professional Repair" because the breakout areas were dry and dark...Within a week after stopping PhotoTherapy my skin was back to normal!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.