My liver enzymes. Spiked

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi, as I sit here this morning waiting for a call from the nurse I am really frightened.  I had my blood work done 3 weeks ago and since not hearing anything about it I assumed all was ok.  I decided to pick up a copy of the test( I always check it) and was shocked to find that my liver had gone up 20 points.  I have been on MTX for more than 3 yr. and I also take Oriencia.  I know MTX could do that but I wonder about Oriencia.  When this happens do they take you off all your meds?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have had that happen and they reduced the  amount I am now on 17.5mg and salphasalizine twice a day. This has helped me. Hope this helps. Regards Wendy 
  • Posted

I am guessing the count was not high enough to cause alarm.  Mine has gone up from taking too much Tylenol products.  I have also been told to have no alcohol.  Hopefully the nurse will call and reassure you.  
    • Posted

Well my count always runs in the 20s and with this last test it was 30 for one and 39 for the other.  This test was done 3 weeks ago and the record was not sent to the doctor, so he has no idea about it.  I am still waiting for the nurse to call me.  I am suppose to take my MTX tomorrow and if I don't hear anything I will make the decision to not take the MTX because that's probably what's causing the increase. Thanks for answering, Jo

• Posted

Hi Jo, this has happened to me too. I was on 20mg MTX and Cimzia injections when my liver test came back as very high. I was told to reduce the MTX to 10mg. This brought the levels back down and I stayed on the lower dose for a while. Unfortunately my pain levels increased and I recently asked my Rheumy if I could put the MTX back on the 20mg dose and she agreed. Knowing that the higher dose can cause a spike I am trying to control the damage by being careful with my diet and alcohol and that seems to be working so far. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi jo

My enzymes were raised too after taking methotrexate tablets (6) for 6 weeks the hospital rang me the next morning after a blood test to say come off it now, I was free of it for a couple of months but sadly suffered with pains it actually came back worse than ever, I went back as suggested by my rheumatologist to taking 6 a week and give it another try and that was the beginning of October and so far so good, I am exercising lots and watching what I eat ( I am 10 stone and 5'7" tall) so can't afford to lose too much but trying to help myself, I just hope and pray this no pain continues, good luck you will get sorted I am sure

• Posted

Hi Jo Just reading your text with interest im in the middle of a flare at the moment so trying to type with one finger lol anyway back to what you were saying I too was on mtx until started to get a lot of side effects and after a year of putting up with the extreme nausea and everythng else they took me off it, consultant then puts me on leyfludmide( i havent spelt it right but i think you will no which one i mean) anyway that one effected my liver they like your liver count to be around 40 any higher they start to moniter the count with fortnightly bloods it also effects blood pressur as well my liver was spiking and it wasnt till it reached 80 that i was taken off tablet and the count came down very fast, please dont think that the Dr doesnt know about your blood counts he most certainly does otherwise what is the point in having them done, at the moment he probably is not worried by it, the moment it becomes a problem belive me you will get a phone call from the practise straight away anyway i hope this helps you and good luck.

• Posted

Hi Anne, I'm so sorry about your flare, in fact my little finger is killing me and the knuckle so I Am using the ice bag.  Anyway the doctor answered today and according to him he just felt the liver spike was normal because I am on MTX.  I guess I would not be so concerned except for the fact that I have been on MTX for 3 and a half years and my liver count never changed and then it jumps 20points.  I read that as meaning something

has changed and I really expected a better response from him. I decided

to cut my MTX dose in half and see how it goes, who knows I may not

need it. Best to you, hope your flare ends quickly and that you don't have anymore.

• Posted

Hi Jo thanks for reply, sorry this has taken so long did not find your answer till i looked in my junk and it was there i felt i had to get back to you quickly please dont mess around with your meds unless the dr tells you to,he is the one who is monitering everything you take, the same thing happened to me when i was on mtx i ws on it for ten years suddenly for no reason i started to get dreadful nausea and tummy problems stuck it out for a year then so angry and fed up at the way i was feeling i came off everything except for painkillers,all i was getting from drs was well try this and try that well i tried it all then stopped it myself which is why im where i am now being a guinea pig for everything in the way of what they call the old meds to see if i have any luck with them sadly no i havent while each and every med i have tried is great for getting rid of pain and flares for the r.a the side effects are impossible to live with which is why i am now waiting to see consultant who will put me on the med called humira no idea what it will be like scared to death of possible effects it will have on me< what the dr wanted me to do was to come off my meds to see how bad my r.a would get to reach the gouverments critera for pain so that i could go on one of the more modern med ( my god what we have to go through) well half way through could not stick pain couldnt even look after myself so dr gave me a massive steroid jab its taken the edge off the pain also brought pain markers down so its back to trying the old meds will be seeing consultant on the 10th of february huh cant wait,as you can see i have a tendency to waffle and digress lol lets get back to you,please follow what your dr tells yu to do if you want to cut it by half do so but inform him as to what you have done after all when you have your bloods done he wont really have an acurate account of what is going on sorry to go on so much let me know how you get on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.