My Log for Coming off PPI's

Posted , 5 users are following.

Background Information:

In my 20's. History of GERD. Reflux on and off. Usually caused when I went OTT with poor eating + smoking twice a day. Had a bad GERD flare-up in mid 2016 and it didn't go so was on PPI for 20 weeks before my endoscopy. 

Was wrongly diagnosed with a mid sized hiatus hernia in 2016. Had been on 40mg Esomeprazole from May 2016 to February 2018. 

February 14th to March 18th - I took 20mg Esomeprazole instead of 40mg. 

I supplemented this with DGL (2 per meal, 3 times a day) and Slippery Elm Capsules (same routine). Both proved to be awesome, DGL in particular. I reduced my dose of these supplements from March 13th.

February 28th - I think a form of rebound reflux must have kicked in. I went back to taking DGL and Slippery Elm, whilst also being on 20mg and things got better. 

March 18th - I came off PPI completely 10 days before my endoscopy, had Gaviscon Advance as instructed, DGL and Slippery Elm. 

In the 5 days leading to my endoscopy I stopped taking antihistamine (which controls my reflux). 

March 30th - I haven't had any rebound reflux yet. I'm hoping I don't. I have only been eating soft foods because of pain post-endoscopy but I am going to eat more solid foods in the next couple of days. I stopped taking gaviscon advance yesterday. 

I have also managed to reduce my dose of DGL, from 6 a day to 3 a day. 

If the reflux hits me aggressively, I will have DGL, Slippery Elm and Gaviscon Advance. 

If I'm getting no relief after that, I will get on an H2 blocker, relatively low dose and then try to quit again in a month (I heard the rebound is a lot lower). If I'm still not faring well even if I up the dose of H2 blocker, I will live on 15mg Lanzoprazole capsules until I try again. 

The problem is, I want to get my stomach acid level checked, as I want to have Apple Cider Vinegar or even Betain HCL when I'm completely off PPI's. 

I would be interested in something like a stretta or linx procedure, as I do not really want to have to live with GERD problems often as I don't want it to progress to Barrett's some time in the future. 

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had rebound after coming off ppi for gastritis going on four months now. Diet doesn't matter. Relaxation doesn't matter, I have hypersecretion / burning in stomach after every meal. I've been gaviscon but hadn't worked. I don't have reflux but I can't figure out why my hypersecretion won't go away. Never had this problem until post ppi

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.