My menieres has flared up and I am really worried

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have had menieres disease for many years and have managed to lead a fairly normal life. The last 5 months have been awful. I am having vertigo etc nearly every day. I take betahistine 16mg 3xday.

Really concerned. What advice or other treatment works for anyone?

Any help please. Thank-you

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

That's great news. Hope you will start to feel better on the increased dose. I was on that for a week or so and if no improvement I was allowed to increase to 32mg. I made the mistake on a couple of occasions of having alcohol - few wines- and I would be so much worse and a spin either that night or next day with all the horrid lead up to them that we all get. So... I dont drink as a rule, caffeine free coke/tea/coffee and ive found 2% fruity beers so I dont feel im missing out. Hope you improve. Just say to yourself that the phase you are in won't and can't last forever and you will improve. Please keep us updated. ( Im on day 15 without a spin yippee..)
    • Posted

Hi. Had awful attack last night and it has lasted all today!!! Still taking 24mg betahistine. Still waiting for consultant appt! Still off work!!! Just hope this episode wears off soon.
    • Posted

Hi Misskent, how are you doing since your all-dayer?  I also had an all-dayer, but then nothing for weeks afterwards.  I'm still avoiding all noisy situations, even someone with a regular cough in the office can make me feel worse!  I believe I need a quiet existence, no alcohol not get overtired.  Feel normal alot of each day but get phases of 'is that a spin coming on' and then it goes away.  I think the 32mg betahistine x 3 dy the water tablet and the grommet is holding things at bay.  Maybe like me the all-dayer has cleared things a little for you?
    • Posted

Hi Angela. I have had little spins over the past week. I do have days when my head feels so full and even during the night I can get little 'blips'. Its hard to explain unless you get them, which you do. Other people cant understand, inc my partner. I just feel so tired when I have these 'blips'. 

The problem with work was that I drive with my job, or have to spend a lot of time on the computer. I was having awful spins at work and the lights affected me.

My hearing is so bad now that I cannot use a phone properly; which is also part of m job. It was so frustrating, but also, I was so tired at thwe end of the day I usually had a spin and struggled to drive home. By then I felt awful and wasnt able to do anything. I just didnt have any quality of life!!!

I am still off work and hope to get the consultant appt asap.

I dont know whether I can go back to do my job anymore???? It is a worry. 

• Posted

How are you doing?

I was doing quite well on the inc meds...32mg betahistine and 20mg amitryptiline at night.

Had really bad attack on Sunday and woke up with it today!!! Feeling quite down today...

Just hope it settles soon.

• Posted

Hi Misskent, sorry to hear the bad time you're having. As your symptoms seem to be escalating I suggest it may be helpful to look at your stress levels and your sodium intake. Both these factors will increase symptoms. 

Good luck and you're not alone.

• Posted

Well, it is a stressful time of year! But I am trying to stay calm. All shopping done!

Thanks for the advice though.

Have a good xmas.

• Posted

I have Meniere's Disease, and I have not heard of these medications you guys keep mentioning.

my ENT has me on water pills that also treat blood pressure Triamterene 1 a day, and anti-viral Valacyclovir 2 a day, antihistamine carbinoxamine 2 a day, ONDANSETRON tablet or dissolving tablets for nausea, Hyoscyamine rapid dissolve for nausea, and Diazepam for spinning, used to take Meclizine which also works. I still have issues. Noise in ear fluctuates, no balance most days, (sometimes I cannot even carry a full glass of liquid) bright lights hurt, loud noises, going deaf in affected ear, turning head can set it off, have had 2 episodes driving, which scares the crap out of me. My dad also has this, but in both his ears. I am in the US. Not sure where you guys are at. Was just looking up Meniere's again to see what is out there. the Diet sucks. No alcohol, no or low caffine, chocolate, doc told me to cut sodium to 800mg a day, yes you read that right, which is impossible, and do allergy tests. You need to avoid foods that show up as not major allergies as well as ones that are more serious. Was doing allergy shots until virus hit but you have to be careful with those too, they increased one bottle too much and it set met into an episode. anyway, good luck my fellow ear sufferers. It is such a horrible disease, I do not wish it on anyone. 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.