My mom had the shingle a year ago...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Since then she has a burning sensation through out her body and has a hard time swallowing to the point where she looses her appetite. The doctors cannot find any physical cause everything appears normal all the tests are normal. Can it be PHN even if the symptoms are all over her body?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey brigett gotta be quick cause im at work but read your note and feel awful for your mom. Yes it totally can be that. I had a few blisters on my back which led to so far two years of awkward digestion breathing pains as well as sharp shooting pains the list goes on. So i would say if tests came back negative then phn has stricken your poor mother. Mine has lessoned so let her know this hopefully wony go on too long. Its a damn slow recovery thi. Its my second time getting it and im 38. Two years in on this one and just now i feel it letting up to the point like i have my life back. Bear with her as it causes sum depression but assure her shell get better it does just take a while. I noticed what helped for me was eating bery small meals as bloating and gas put pressure on mine. Wven drinking lots of water at a time put pressure on my nerves so ya take it slow and get her outside and doing things that she enjoys. Attitude is the first thing that can help ive tried wverything under the sun.  Something the body just has to slowly fight.  I can still feel mine frum twn years ago but its not bad and after two years still sum days where it gets really bad. It does fluctuate throught the day and daily. Sum days its just worse than others for real and has nothing to do with anything it seems.   Est of luck and do keep us all posted woth her progress
    • Posted

Thank you for taking the time to answer me. I hope that you continue to get better.
  • Posted

Hi Brigitte,

Sounds like your mom is having a really hard time. PHN affects only the sensory nerve that was affected during the shingles bout. It does not “spread” throughout the whole body. I don’t doubt that her symptoms are real, but this is not just PHN. I would follow the doctors’ advice on what to do. Since PHN is such a difficult thing to deal with, It is also possible that part of her problem is due to emotional issues. I’d consider seeing a therapist, as talking about this stuff to a professional can really help. 

I hope hope you and her docs can make some progress on all this. 

• Posted

Thank you for your info and I wish you well too
  • Posted

Do u feel like you have an idea on if it is shingles or not. It comes in many forms and seems a lil different for everyone it took me six months to find out what it was even tho i had it once before. It just felt totally different frum the first time. All doctors around me had no idea  and sum will tell u oh nonit cant be that it only effects one side. Absolutely not true. Mine feels bruisy burning tingling sharp n stabbing and wraps around my whole waistline up thru to my chest and wven down the side of my lega and groin area too. Just a huge area i wasnt aware that could be effected. It effected my breathing and walking digestion too. As i said tho time is everything and knowing what it is and that your not dying is key to knowing and getting better. To live in doubt is only going to make things worse. Let the forum know how she is doing. I feel like we can all learn best from eachother cause if youve never had it u have nonidea just how crazy it can get. Its contantly there is the most exhasting part. I did have this when i was twenty six and it took a few years for it to mostly subside. I can feel it still and am still weaker where it happened but it becomes more a minor nuisance. Thanks for wishing me well i hope everyone here is finding progress and ways to feel themselves again
  • Posted

Have also tried suplementing with so many things vit b magnesium lysine i wouldnt do gabapentin but have tried cbd oil. To be honest the only thing that remotly helped is the cbd. My shingles laughed in the face of wvrythi g else. It truly seems to help my shingles. I take .5 ml twice a day.  I weigh 160 lbs and that dose seems to work for me.  I can give u more info on what kind. I have experienced nothing of the thc high u get so ican wven work 50 hrs a week and have no issue maintaining my proffesionalism while supplementing woth it. Hope u find something that helps. And report back on her progress. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.