My Mono story, is the worst still to come?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all, 

Exactly 2 weeks I went to the doctor with a fever of 104 and severe chest pain when breathing and when he examined me found that I had swollen tonsils with white streaks and swollen glands in the neck.

They were very good that they did a strep test that came back negative and a rapid mono spot test (the one with the finger prick) that came back positive. 

The doctor sent me away with a course of antibiotics for the bacteria on my throat, steroids for the chest pain and told me to rest and stay hydrated. He said the mono will take some time to pass.

The throat pain went away within 2-3 days aswell as all my other symptoms. Since then I have had no sore throat or fever and don’t feel my glands are swollen. The only thing is sometimes I feel light headed if I do too much when I go out and about but I generally take it easy to avoid that feeling.

I never have any extreme exhaustion and generally would be fine with 6-8 hours sleep and sometimes a nap if I felt malaise. 

My question is, based on your experience. Is it normal the feel back to normal this soon? Or for the symptoms to not last long at all? Or is the worst still to come?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Glad to hear you’re feeling better. Honestly mono is super different for everyone some people just get an awful flu like experienc that clears up in days and others are left sick for a year. You seem to be on the quick road to recovery, may I recommend REALLY taking it easy for a week or two to allow your body time to heal, even if you feel fine. 

• Posted

Hi there,

It’s great that you seem to be recovering fast; however, I would still take it easy for a while just to be sure. Some people try and push through this virus by being super active and then crash. Everyone is different though and you may just be one of those people who aren’t affected super badly by it, which is lucky. 

Get better soon and take care! 

• Posted

Hey Dominika, Mono and Van,

Just a quick message to say hope you are doing okay and let you know still thinking about you and believing you guys and your family's are going to get through mono and return to full health - remember there is hope and is recovery from this thing, even if it takes time it won't always be this way you I believe each one of you will return to full health again, trusting God with that.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Thomas,

Sounds like you have had a rough few weeks and sorry to hear you've had to go through this. I want to reassure that you even if you read others stories of taking a while to recovery from this virus, which can be normal, it is something that seems to be very individual to everyone and some people seem to recover much quicker than others - so very much hoping that this can only be a good sign that you are not feeling too bad at the moment and that things are improving. Remember just be cautious not to overdo things too soon, often that can trigger a setback where people continue to press on at the same pace of life without getting extra rest / vitamins / herbs / stress relief, which are all very beneficial with this virus - so even if you feel not too bad, remember just take things slowly over the next few weeks / months and absolutely you will get there and hoping that you are feeling back to full health very soon.

Vitamins and herbs did help me, a good strong multi-vitamin per day, B complex (good for nervous system and energy levels), higher doses of Vitamin C (1000mg-3000mg per day) and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng and echinicea.

Hang in there and trusting God for your recovery!

Craig

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your word of encouragement. It is sometimes hard to grasp a recovery timeframe on the internet because all I have found is stories of recoveries that have taken months/years.

It is encouraging to hear that it could also be normal to recover in a short time frame. I will just continue to take it easy. Good thing is I’m off work, bad thing is I’m moving abroad over the next 2 weeks so I need to make sure to keep stress to a minimum during what could be a stresful time. I have noticed on days where I am stressed I get exhausted easier. 

Great advice with the vitamins, each day I have been taking magnesium and b complex aswell as a airborne each morning. I was also using pedialite when I was having night sweats.

I hope my story can help with anyone looking for reassurance that you can recover in a short timeframe.

• Posted

Hey Thomas,

Good luck with your move and hope everything goes well and this can be a move that helps improve your health and make you feel better. Yes absolutely it's so important to remove stress as much as possible at this time, so just take things at your own pace and rest when you need to rest and don't overdo it. 

It is only understandable that you would feel worried reading stories of others who take longer to recover with this time - as folks have been saying it really is very individual and some people recover much quicker than other with this, there seems to be no logical handbook as to how it goes, it is a very individual thing for each person, it is a good thing you are not feeling so bad and can only be positive that you are feeling a good bit better - just don't overdo things for now is definitely key though!!

And definitely your experience I really hope can offer hope and encouragement to others who have recently became unwell with mono. There definitely is recovery from this thing!

Craig

• Posted

HI Thomas,

This really varies with each person and how the immune system responds. 

Take it easy and don't overdo for awhile, but it sounds like you are one of the lucky ones.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.