My mood is constantly going up and down and both are quite extreme, is it just anxiety?

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I'm feeling down, I have awful anxiety. I'm a massive hypochodriac, every twitch of pain or slightly odd sensation is cancer. I have no self esteem, I self harm and I generally just want to roll over and die.

Then every few weeks (sometimes days) I feel the opposite, I still feel a little crap. But generally I feel great, I have little to no impulse control. I will eat every bit of junk food in my house an not worry about gaining weight or thinking about he damage fat build up can do. I will drink myself stupid and not think of the consequences (when I'm in my hypochondriac state the thought of having potetial liver problems terrifies me) usually when I end up drinking I end up buying things when I normally wouldn't bother.

I'm seeing a councilor at university, everytime I went in with my fears she would patiently explain that I was feeling anxiety and need to see my GP. But since I started telling her about my 'up' days, she has been telling me to go to the GP more often and not telling me everything I'm feeling is anxiety.

I'm to embarrased to go see my doctor for now, but if this makes sense to anyone that would be great :')

I am NOT asking for a diagnosis, just some advice

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Well you might not want to hear it, but my advice would be to consult your GP. It is better to get some medical opinion, rather than make yourself Ill worrying about what MIGHT be affecting you. The sooner you see the doctor, the sooner you can put your mind at rest, get treatment (if you need it) and start feeling hetter.
  • Posted

Hi Bethany,

Glad to hear you're not looking for a diagnosis via a patient forum. That's a very sensible approach.

However, it does sound as if you might have a known psychiatric condition that could be helped with medication and/or CBT. Pixie is right - you absolutely need to go to your GP to start the ball rolling.

There's absolutely no need to be embarrassed about seeing your GP. You wouldn't be embarrassed about going to the doctor if you had a nasty cough or a lump in your breast, would you? And this is just the same. 

• Posted

Thanks, if I've learned anything in the last few years it's that looking for a diagnosis on the internet is genarally a terrible idea! And seeing my GP makes me nervous because I have no idea how to get my thoughts together, or how I will even begin to explain whats going on in my head.......
    • Posted

Try writing it down - preferably in bullet points you could read out to your doctor. After all, you made a pretty good job of it in your post here! And don't forget to tell him about the ups as well as the downs, like your counsellor said.
  • Posted

See your GP and make a paper with all the information on it so you dont forget what you wanted say to the gp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.