My Mother and two sisters were prescribed Dexamfetamine

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Mother and two sisters was prescribed this drug back in the late 1950s as they were overweight by a NHS doctor. I was also prescribed this drug by the same Doctor when I was 15 years old and only 8 stone, incase (Doctors quote) "I became overweight as the rest of my family." I am now 57 years old, overweight and also addicted to them 100%. I have had a gradual increase of the dose up to over 9 a day until due to a change of Doctor I am now down to 3 per day. Although I feel that I was an innocent victim of being prescribed unnecessarily, I have been actually called "A Junkie" by one Doctor and have been made to feel inferior by other Doctors who have simply refused to prescribe them to me as as far as they can see I shouldnt have taken them in the first place, regardless of the fact that at that time a 15 year old wouldnt dream of not taking something that the Doctor said they should. I have now found a Doctor that is sympathetic to my position but at the same time still advocates that I will have to come off of them eventually although I have been on them now for 42 years! I am dreading it as I cant say that I will know who I really am if I have to live without them. So my sincere advice to you is, if there is an alternative to these drugs, please take it.

[i:ef8ba97f19]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ef8ba97f19]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been searching this site thourghly and come across your comment on dexamphetamine .

I have Narcolepsy and am on 12 tablets a day and nearly 36 yrs old, i have been on them now for 15 yrs approx and find that i too am addicted to them you mention your family in the old days that took this drug, how are they now if still alive today.

Have they had any long term side affects to the drug ? ? ? ?

I would love to know thanks for reading this if you visit this site..........:cheers:

[i:6134265aaa]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6134265aaa]

• Posted

I take this tablet for sleep problems, I don't find it amazingly effective, don't see y you would get hooked on them. I take 8-10 a day but if I run out I just feel more tied that day no withdrawals or side effects. I think addiction is all in the mind
  • Posted

There is usually a medical necessity or condition  for a drug to be prescribed.  I have narcolepsy & take stimulants to keep from having  events of passing out several times daily without warning .   I do  have a medical necessity for these meds , and often others will say I am "addicted " but  there is a difference  between addiction &  a medical necessity . If there is a medical necessity for a medicine , I do not think it can be called an addiction .
  • Posted

Hi, I'm on 60mg (12 tablets) of dexamfetamine a day for narcolepsy with cataplexy.  I'm also prescribed modafinil which do not work.  The positives of dexamfetamine for are no sleep paralysis, no hypnagogic hallucinations, no sleep attacks and no cataplexy.  The negative is it aggravates my anxiety sending it through the roof, causing paranoia etc.  If I'm in the wrong mind set I could quite easily abuse the drug.  When I'm heading towards that phase, I stop taking the dexamfetamine, having rest days from it.  On those rest days, narcolepsy with cataplexy has a really bad impact on my day.  Yesterday was a rest day and I was having sleep attacks mid conversation with my children,  I had an episode of cataplexy.  My consultant is going to put me forward for xyrem next year. I'm hoping that the xyrem will suck me into a deep sleep for at least 3 hours because for years now I've only had 5 hours fragmented sleep in a 24 hour period.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.