My mother has an infestation in her hair and house, GP can’t identify source.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, so i was wondering if anybody has seen this before or has any idea of what it could be. My mum started to feel her head itching around Christmas time and saw some insects in her head at the start of January. She eventually went to the GP who gave her some headlice treatment as she was combing some out, really big ones aswell. She tried numberous treatments that the GP gave her although none of these worked. This led to pest control coming over who found harvest mites in the property and defumigated the house. I have done some research and nothing comes up with them living on just the hair so not convinced it is them. The GP then said he is unsure what to do so advised she go pay privately to a dermatologist who looked and said he could not see any (by this time the insects were reduced) and my mum thought she was fine. last week they have now started to hatch again and she has fresh bites on her head. She has had this for about 5 weeks now and she is really down and does not know where to turn. i have included some pictures of the insects if anybody could help with advice or information would be really grateful. many thanks Dan.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to add that the insects were found around the house aswell, curtains, carpet, pillows and mattress along with in the hair. Thanks in advance.

• Posted

They do. The pest control company visited again yesterday and believe an infestation has got into her suitcase while on holiday as there appeared to be a nest on it. So she is going to have to go to A&E and pest control are doing an investigation into the insects so fingers crossed.

• Posted

Maybe fungus gnats?

They are known to live on hair, and also infest houses.

Not sure if they are in the area she lives.

might be worth looking into.

• Posted

i will have a look into Fungas Gnats, here is a new picture of one a bit closer. She has been referred to the tropical infestation team so hopefully she will get seen next week by them. They are still in the house and in her hair though bless her. She does live in the countryside with lots of farms nearby aswell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.