My mother has had this strange muscular pain in her ribs and back for three weeks. Any ideas?

Posted , 3 users are following.

For about the last three weeks, my mother (55) has been complaining about a strange pain/uncomfortable sensation in her ribs, on the right side. She says that when she bends over, it feels as if her lower ribs are crossing over, and has to hold her ribs to bend over. She has also said she has, at different times, had lower back pain and also in her right shoulder blade. All three of these are not all the time, varying from day to day, with at least one of them present. It wasn't very much the first week, then that weekend and the first half of last week she was in a lot of pain, then this week she says its not hurting as much, but is aching, especially when bending, sitting, coughing, sneezing, even sniffing. Googling it, i wondered whether it was either a condition called Slipped Rib Syndrome or Costochondritis. Could it be either of these? Has anyone has this symptoms, or anything like it? And if so, what was done about it?

Also, if this helps, she sits in a slightly twisted position while on the computer, and has recently changed her pillow in her bed. Could these be anything to do with it?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Costochondritis is normally quite a sharp pain felt at the front of the chest (where the ribs meet the cartilage) The pain your are describing sounds quite muscular in nature. Is it sore if she presses over the area? I would try hot water bottles over the sore area and simple painkillers (whatever she would normally take for a headache etc) If she has any pain that radiates anywhere else or any other symptoms such as shortness of breath or dizziness she should speak to her GP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.