My mother in law is dealing with psychosis and we dont know how to help !

Posted , 3 users are following.

My boyfriends mom is dealing with some serious mental issues right now and we don't know how to help her. My mother in law has thyroid problems that was brought on by drug use and she hasnt taken her medication in at least a month . shes had problems with her thyroid before and shes been in the hospital for those problems but what im about to tell you has never happened before . this all started 4 days ago when she messaged me and said she was sick , and when i called her she told me that she is having "paranoid schizophrenic thoughts" she said that she keeps thinking that isis is wathcing her and that theyre gonna kidnap her and turn her into a sex slave , she also said she thinks people are walking by her window . me and my bf assumed it was from the drugs (which she said she quit) and that shed been up for to many days. Well last night she showed up at our house looking for my bf , he was in the shower so me and my mom were talking to her and she was definitely having auditory hallucinations , and other crazy thoughts , she kept saying that she thinks her bf killed her sister , she kept saying that she wants my bf and our daughter to go on a journey with her , and that I need to watch my daughter cuase she innocent and 'they' take the innocent and she kept asking me if I hear the trumpets and if I hear the crowd and a bunch of other stuff , then my bf finally came out and she told him to come here , so he started walking towards her and her dog barked at him so she screamed at him to GET BACK! , so he was like im calling an ambulance , so of course she started walking away and while she was she was screaming at my bf to get the baby come with her . the cops wouldn't take her they said she wasn't a threat . later on that night though her other son found her on the railroad track , he took her to the hospital and even told them she's suicidal but they just released her the next morning. We don't know how to help her, the hospital won't take her , rehab won't take her and the meth addicts she lives with obviously aren't helping her . does anyone have any advice on how to get her into some kind of hospital or anything any advice at all will be helpful . thank you!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think you should take her to a psychiatrist who will direct her to observation, so it's probably the easiest way to get a referral to the hospital

• Posted

Hi you can ask for her to be sectioned but they will only do this if she is a danger to herself and others.  If she is doing all this and living with meths addicts she is clearly in danger so I would ring her doctor and ask for his/her help.  

This must be awful for your bf (and you) and I hope you find some solutions.  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.