My mother is in ICU! After 10 weeks of total knee replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hey all!

My mother had bilateral knee replacement on 18th Dec 2015, her age is 68. Surgery went well, but after 24 hours of it, due to poor pain management, stomach bloated and she went into icu for 8 days, all her values BP, PR, etc went bad, counting long story short we brought her back home at 20th day after surgery. She started walking few steps, but after 4 weeks, she started falling down during her walk. We went to doctors they said its due to weakness you need to increase her diet. She refused to eat, her electrolytes went down sodium is at 111. Every other report like heart/stool/etc are all fine. Doctors said its due to loose motions of 8 weeks. They have her vancomycin capsules yesterday.

Please anyone out there could help in guiding any further solution. Is this normal?

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

sorry i only just saw this post im so sorry that your mum has had such a hard time .i have some idea what she has been through .when i got my bi lateral in 2012 i was in hospital for 12 days  two of them i was in icu  mine was because of surgeon breaking one of my legs during op.the pain i went through was unreal and pain meds didnt touch it .when i finaly came home i was very frail i was 55yrs and looked 75 and felt 95 i never  experienced such a low. i lost over 2 stone in weight . eating was hard for me after the op i just had no appetite .my husband was constantly giving me food to build me up .alot of people thought i had cancer i went down to skin and bone . my blood pressure was on the low side but thankfully i eventually improved but it was a very very slow recovery i do hope she has improved its very scary for those who are looking after us .my husband has said to me he was so scared when i was that low he thought i was not going to survive .  im trying to think what i was eating back then ,small portions very often i think high calorie foods. mind you i did eat some fruit my husband got m&s bowl of fruit small pieces . the meds take the appetite .good luck i wish your mum and you the very best pm me anytime
  • Posted

I'm so sorry to hear this news today. May she be at peace.you did all that you could for your mum. My deepest sympathy as you go through this. Hugs for you and your family. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.