My Mother's hand is stiff. Anyone else run into this before?

Posted , 3 users are following.

She is paralyzed, can not speak, she can only open her eyes randomly. We feed her using nasogastric tube. It has been almost 60 days since suffering from 3rd stroke. She is 84 years old.

For the last two days, she started around ,5 to 6 times per day, making her right hand so stiff. We can not bend that hand only, can not bend her wrist, can not bend any of her fingers. I usually do that to massage her hand.

Why her right hand is doing that? What does that tell you?Thank you so much.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi my mother is in locked in situation after suffering from 3rd stroke. She is paralyzed, can not speak, she can only open her eyes randomly. We feed her using nasogastric tube. It has been almost 60 days since suffering from 3rd stroke. She is 84 years old.

For the last two days, she started around ,5 to 6 times per day, making her right hand so stiff. We can not bend that hand only, can not bend her wrist, can not bend any of her fingers. I usually do that to massage her hand.

Why her right hand is doing that? What does that tell you?Thank you so much.

• Posted

It sounds like your dear mother has suffered an anurism in her brain on the left side which affects the right side of the body and speak. She should be in hospital. I am so sorry for you
  • Posted

thanks loretta89480  for your reply. i live in Iraq and here the medical care is really bad and hospital do not take case like this and doctors are not well trained etc so we brought her home so we can take care of her.. we feeding her, change her and we learn  all that by ourself.. got help from nurse to inset the nasgastic tube..

thanks a lot.

• Posted

hi..

As a caregiver of ur mother u always look for following things......

Keep an eye out for "frozen" joints. If he's having trouble moving his arm or leg, try bending it for him. If it feels unusually stiff, that's probably due to a muscle spasm.

Keep track of when and where spasms occur. Also ask his nurses and rehabilitation team what positions typically set off muscle spasms.

Notify the doctor and rehabilitation team. Let the medical team know if the problem seems to be getting worse...contact physio....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.