My mother sugar problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

F or 2 weeks my mother sugar level is 400plus and she has urinary tract infection what should i do

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That is way too high for too long.  You should take her to the doctor right away.
  • Posted

Hi Sami, I also care for my mother. She is 88 and has been through geriatric disease and conditions including  chronic UTIs.  I’ll give you probably more information than you need. Hopefully it will offer some longterm guidance in case the infections are recurring.

I suspect the UTIs are connected to diabetes. I look after my mother and she gets frequent UTiI and kidney infections. She was diagnosed type I a few years ago. 

For your mom, If she can tolerate antibiotics, call her doc and get a prescription immediately. If the infections recurr,  you’ll have to find another solution.

Since antibiotics offered my mother only temporary relief, I have her on a series of antibiotic herbs. D-mannose in high doses, oregano oil, grapefruit seed extract, oregano oil,  berberine all have antibiotic properties and have minimal side effects. The berberine will lower blood sugar. White kidney bean extract also lowers blood sugar.

I also take her to acupuncture twice weekly, which is enormously helpful. 

I found that with the elderly, opportunistic infections happen frequently. By the time it gets noticed (if at all)  the infection is well established.  Frequently infections (of all sorts are never noticed simply because there isn’t a way to test.  Often, chronic (subacute and undiagnosed) infections impair brain function and infections in the elderly are mistaken for dementia. My mother was constantly on and off antibiotics for several years, also on and off anti-fungal medications. It was a vicious cycle.

For this reason, I use a cocktail of herbs on a daily basis to prevent infections. I increase them when she gets an infection. I also give her herbs to boost her immune system. I feel it took about twp years to really kick the infections completely out of her system.

I feel much of the recurring infections were due to poor diet, conditions in an adult assisted living facility, medications and hospitaization. Now that she lives with me, she has an excellent diet, takes no prescripton meds and her UT infections are far less frequent. I feel loneliness, grief and isolation contribute to illness.

We went through various serious conditions as she was coming off meds- stroke, cardiac arrest,  high BP, edema, cardiac arrhythmia... of course the diabetes.  She got so bad, she was in hospice, so we weaned her off all the drugs and she got much better. 

Although she is  diabetic, we now control the diabetes with diet.  We were able to wean her off the insulin to netformin, thecweaned her off the metformin with berberine. Her diet is a modified Paleo, and she is gluten-free. Though I’m sure the herbs and acupuncture played a roll in her recovery as well.

I keep my mother out of the hospital, as they are laden with resistant bacteria, and I do not allow her to be catheterized while in the hospital, as the catheter results in an automatic UTI, usually kidney infection as well. 

• Posted

Is your mother a diabetic, taking any diabetic medicines?  Is she following diabetic guidelines?  Is she getting any exercise?

When you have an infection that can raise your BG sugar level. 

What you do about it needs to be discussed with a doctor, and depends on where you're starting from in terms of medicine, diet, etc.

Any kind of stress and many other medications, result in higher BG levels.

Since you even know here BG level that probably means she is a diabetic, so I hope she knows about diet and carb-counting.  Trying to reduce carbs a bit more for a while might help, but cutting too low does not always work.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.