My mother was diagnosed with severe actute Pancreatitis ...

Posted , 15 users are following.

My mother was diagnosed with severe actute Pancreatitis last month. Until then I had never heard of this condition. Mum was admitted on the Monday with severe abdomen pain and vomiting. The hospital quickly diagnosed Pancreatitis, at what stage was unknown. They immediately put Mum on a drip and pain relief although Mum said the pain relief was hardly touching it. Mum then had an x-ray and was then admitted to a ward. Tuesday evening she was admitted to Intensive Care as the condition had got a lot worse. By Wednesday afternoon Mum was placed on a ventilator as lung complications had started. By Friday Mum's kidneys had started to fail and the lung condition was very much worse.

Mum died on the Saturday - only 5 days after being admitted due to multi organ failure.

The only previous symptom Mum had was 9 days previously she had bad pain in her abdomen, she went to bed with a hot water bottle and the pain went. Until that fateful Monday, Mum had no other pains/symptoms.

More people need to be made aware of this disease. Perhaps if we had more knowledge, as soon as she received the first pain 9 days previously, we could have prevented her death ......

[i:f6373b409b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f6373b409b]

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know how horrible this illness could be, I myself been dealing with this problem for almost 25 (Im just 27) all my life I've been trying soooo many diets due to always having pain in my stomach, I lived my entire life thinking it was gastritis due to eating junk food( I pnly age what my mom gave me). When I got older and decided to turn vegan because I couldnt even drink water without hurting I still when to the doctor in pain and always got the same answer - stop drinking!, eat well, eat! If you dont it ypur stomach will hurt( total opposite) all my life people are been telling me its my fault that it hurts because im an alcoholic( can't strand alcohol) so when I finally weighed less than 50 pounds and theres was more grease in my toilet doctors told me it was due to me recuperating from having a baby......I looked super sexy like a skeleton, I finally found a doctor who finally told me it was genetic, not my fault but also it is too late after almoat 25 of damage to my pancreas and now it was just showing the results of no information or treatment for this illness, some other doctors told me if you want to live more than 3 years stop drinking, even I had a doctor who told me well you will die like in 3 years because of all the damage and because you dont have the money for ant type of treatmwnt because they are expensive you know so just eat healthy and enjoy your days......if it hurts people dont settle for pain killers and good diets, love youself and look for answers we know when something is not right.

I feel the pain of every singles person here, I am so sorry for the people who lost family members to this.

And most of all it kills me that people still dont know what pancreatitis is till this day, we need more awareness and see how we can help others.

Because I it is not just they pain is that if you have it is to learn how to live and deal with it in a daily basis, it is hard and it can take away your life even before you die.

Love and hugs to all you people.

• Posted

I lost my wife at age 49 3 months ago to acute pancreatis ,she was admitted on the Sunday with vomiting and severe tummy pains and was in for two weeks and was we were told doing ok and it was gallstones that caused it two weeks later on the Saturday my wife told me during the night her pain was terrible and when I got to the hospital in the morning she was having trouble breathing and during the two weeks in hospital she blew up around the tummy very large but they still showed no concern and said she was doing ok ......I had to leave her at lunch time as no visitors during meals so sat in my car .....while I was away she had seen the doctor and text me to tell me and said she would tell me what he said in 30 minuets when I went back but all was ok .......I went back 40 minutes later and they were not letting anyone on the ward and all the curtains were drawn in my wife's bay .....as I went to walk to her a nurse stopped me and took me into an office my wife had got up to go to the bathroom and collapsed and they could not find a heart beat they got her breathing again and put her on a ventilator while I was in the office and not allowed to go to my wife her heart stopped another two times and then again and the doctor said it was no good .....I asked how long they could not find a heart beat for and they said 20 minuets so I obviously knew it was no good ..........my wife died within 40 minuets of my leaving her .......at the autopsy cause of death was general perinititis and

Acute necrotising pancreatitis , heart failure .....for years she had a poorly tummy and was always taking paracetamol and busopan ....when she went to our go he said she had an hiatus hernia witch when in hospital the consultant said she shows no sign of one at all and find not have one .........it looks like she had gallstones for years and was misdiagnosed ......a horrid horrible waste 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.