My mum doesn't understand my mental health problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi, so i'm 14 and i know i seem really young and all that but recently i've had some situations that have gotten me in deep s*** and i tell my mum it's my anxiety and i worry a lot and she doesn't get it. she always says "why do you have these thoughts" and "just focus your mind on happier things" "i don't understand why you need to have these thoughts" "you don't need to care what people think" today i left school at lunch and the school phoned my mum and she found out so i told her i wasn't at school and explained to her my anxiety but she didn't understand and just said "i dont understand why it affects you" "you have too much time on your hands " even though i ask her to do stuff and she doesn't let me. "if other people don't like you then that's not your problem" "you don't need to think about people not liking you" it stresses me out because i can't explain to my mum and she doesn't understand and i don't know what to do. i have tried to tell her about this before but she just said the same things.

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zoe,

Do you have another family member that you could talk to? Or is there a school counsellor? Or teacher that you could confide in? Maybe they could help you talk to your mum?

Shaz x

• Posted

Hi Zoe, this must be awful for you, having your anxiety dismissed is not very nice, your mum just doesn't understand the illness or how it affects the sufferer, it's an invisible illness.

Your mum needs to be educated in some way on the illness as you really need your mum to understand and support you. Have you been to the DR's with her to get the treatment you need, perhaps your GP could explain it to her. Shaz has the right idea also.

I hope the penny drops for your mum and you get the support you need from her.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.