My Mum has been recently diagnosed, Where can we get support?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My Mum has been in constant pain and on a steady physical decline for the last few years, I can't even remember when it started to get bad, but it was before university, and now I am doing my MSc, so that says something... 

She was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia+ Polimyalgia and a bunch of other long and complicated conditions at the end of last year. She is still in constant pain, she is still unable to work, she is still sick. 

This diagnosis seems to have been the GP's way of shutting her up!

She used to be a mental health worker, then a teacher, so she sucks at asking for help, so I am asking for her.

Where does she find support?

She lives in NE london, but can't get access to a pain clinic because there isn't one. I can't find a support group still running, or any form of peer or proffesional support. 

I miss my mum. Please Help. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Awe karategirl your mum is a very lucky lady to have someone who cares and I know what it's like to not want to ask for help because I am like that. Anyway to hopefully answer your question, there really isn't much in terms of support as fibromyalgia is something that is becoming more apparent but docs don't know how to help. The first thing your mum needs to do is ask her gp for a referral to see a rheumatologist. She could try gentle exercises like yoga or pilates. Unfortunately I have to rely on meds but want to go off, I found acupuncture helped. Sadly it's trial and error and if she does want to just rant or simply just chat this is a good place and you'll meet some regulars. I've been suffering mentally and finally am doing something about it. Hope this helps?

• Posted

Hello KarateGirl,

I'm so sorry that your mum is so poorly and I can tell how upsetting all this is for you.

Oompa is right, she needs to be referred by her GP to a Rheumatologist who will do necessary checks, Xrays scans, bloods etc to rule out certain things before giving a definitive diagnosis.  They would be able to then work on a plan to try and help your mum.  Hang on in there. x

• Posted

Hi there!

There's Fibromyalgia uk who offer support and information to sufferers and their families.

You sound like a very caring person and very clearly care about your mother.

I'm sure that must be a huge plus for your mum.

The condition is difficult to understand fully but so debilitating. I really hope you find some support and relief for your Mum's symptoms soon.

Good luck 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.