My mum is suffering with diverticular disease.

Posted , 4 users are following.

My mum was diagnosed with diverticular disease a few years ago. No matter what different food regimes she tries she still has severe cramps and either constipation or diarrhoea. She’s 78 and it’s making her low in spirit and not want to eat very much! How do we know it’s not something more sinister developing? Yes, cancer! 

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Jean have you spoken to a GI doctor or a dietitian?  They would be the best bet right now... I would communicate with a your local dietitian to get ideas on what to eat and what is good for you.... The mediterranean diet was recommended to me by my Dietitian.  Good luck. Keep us posted.
    • Posted

Thank you so much. Only been under the GP’s care and they  don’t seem that interested! 

Think I’ll ask for a referral for a Gastro doctor. 

• Posted

I hope you can find answers.  A GI doctor came to visit me many times in the hospital and they became my best friend with all my questions.  Now that I have more questions it is hard to get them answered through my primary Dr. good luck and keep us posted.  We are all here to support each other. We need each others support while we all battle this together.... literally.
  • Posted

I suffered for a full 90 days with DD. Finally, after 3 months of eating right (oatmeal, yogurt, veggie juices, mashed potatoes, fruit smoothies, and TONS of water, at least 10 glasses/day), plus a couple of rounds of antibiotics, and occasionally an extra-strength Tylenol, I finally turned the corner. I never thought the day would come when I didn't feel bad, but it finally did. I take an occasional stool softener to make absolutely sure that I avoid constipation. In fact, I'm sure that constipation was what landed me DD in the first place. I do not naturally like water or fibrous foods, but  you can bet your bottom dollar that has all changed. 

Insofar as colon cancer, I have polyps and my dad died with undiagnosed colon cancer, so I make sure to have a colonoscopy every 3 years to rule it out. I feel that even if I do end up with colon cancer because of my family history, I can lead a full life with early diagnosis. 

I hope your mom stays the course; it may seem like it will never end, but for me, it finally did.

• Posted

Thank you. I think another colonoscopy sounds like a good idea.  

The dieradvixe soinds good too. Yogurts? Are these the bio /pro biotics version

• Posted

What symptoms did you have to warrant antibiotics? The Gp’s are so reluctant. I feel a course may benefit mum, but not sure at what stage to approach them. 
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your mum.  I began having severe constipation about 3 months ago.  Finally I went to see a Dietician and she is helping me determine which foods may be the cause and which foods are not.  I would recommend getting in touch with a Dietician.  Hope you can find a good diet to relieve the constipation - good luck.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your mum.  I began having severe constipation about 3 months ago.  Finally I went to see a Dietician and she is helping me determine which foods may be the cause and which foods are not.  I would recommend getting in touch with a Dietician.  Hope you can find a good diet to relieve the constipation - good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.