My nan suffers from Achalasia and looking for some advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

My nan suffers from achalasia, she has had this condition for over 2 years and has had numerous operations but nothing has helped. She is now fed through a tube into her stomach as she had dramatic weight loss from not being able to eat. She even regurgitates drink and only manages to drink tiny amounts. She can only eat food that melts in her mouth like the crisps quavers even though she still regurgiates this aswell. I am trying to find new foods for her to eat and was wondering what you find it easiest to eat to try and give her a change. The acalasia also caused her to have aspiration pneumonia due to her coughing all the time. Her Coughing is really bad and she coughs all the time even when she is not eating or drinking.

Also i have been researching the condition and have found a treatment called botulinum toxin injection, Has anyone had this treatment before and does it work?

Really appreciate any advice, Thank you x

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

[quote:d197c8a67c=\"Jacquelineh23\"]She can only eat food that melts in her mouth like the crisps quavers even though she still regurgiates this aswell. I am trying to find new foods for her to eat and was wondering what you find it easiest to eat to try and give her a change. [/quote:d197c8a67c]

As a sporadic suffererer from achalasia, when I'm having difficulty swallowing I have to resort to food such as the following -

Mashed potato (with butter, and grated cheese)

Cornflakes (with lots of milk)

Ice cream

Mushy peas / baked beans / spinach

Yoghurt

Soups

Basically, anything that's not too solid and can just slither down. I find it helps if I like what I'm eating. Also, it's best to avoid food or drink which is spicy / acidic / strongly alcoholic

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline,

Not sure this helps much but .....

from what I found out when I looked into achalasia 10 years ago, botox injections weren't as effective as balloon dilation or the hellers myotomy.

And I'd guess from the continued lack of profile, that treatment has fallen by the wayside.

:?

• Posted

I had botox injections last week and i havent stoped eating every thing and any thing i sufferd terrible lost half my bodey waight i looked like a skeliton i dont know if it will work 4 your nan because i found certian things dont suit every body i tried just the balloon dialation but i was back weeks later but botox and balloon dialation at the same time has worked wonders for me.I hope your nan finds what suits her as its such a depressing illness.good luck love.x. :wink:
  • Posted

hi how is now, i notice that was 2010
  • Posted

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your comments, unfortunately after years of suffering from this condition and spending months in hospital my nan died of aspirational pnuemonia last July.

xx

• Posted

damn this made me so sad, i am so sorryi have achalasia, i just had the heller myotomy and so far so good, i was really touched to see you looking for help for your nan, i wish i had seen it sooner, poor lady,it must have been awful for her and you of courseso sorry
  • Posted

It was terrible, its just such a horrible illness. I am so glad your operation worked and hope all goes well for you in the future, no one should have to suffer with this illness the way my poor nan did
  • Posted

thank you , it is early day and i dont want to give anyone false hope but i will display my details soon, it is brilliant up to now but its only been a week, im well aware that theses ops can fail,i wish i could have helped your nan with a bit of advice,bless her

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.