My neck is making me ill

Posted , 4 users are following.

I suffer from cervical spondolysis since my mid twenties. I have a narrowing between discs 5 and 6. For the last 3 months, my neck has been so painful during the night, waking me up. Every morning my neck feels stiff, but this doesn't wear off. The last few days I have been feeling a dizzy like sensation at the back of my head, top of the neck, and a sharp severe pain. I wake up with it and lasts for hours. yesterday it came on in the evening. Nothing I took could reduce it. I even took a Sumatriptan to see if it was some type of migraine. I went to bed with it, and woke up still with it and have had it all day, despite taking tramadol. I have seen my GP and their physio. I have had a xray that couldn't show what the problem was, just my usual osteoarthritis. I was then sent to a hospital to see an advanced Physiotherapist. She has examined me, but can't work out what thew problem is. So now I have to have a MRI scan. I am drained from all the disturbed sleep and pain. I move my head to the right and it hurts. It has lessened now gone 9pm. But I know when I lie down it will become worse. I have a long history of arguments with my pillows and insomnia due to this. My GP has tried me on various medication, but nothing stops my neck when it has one of these attacks. I have bought countless pillows. I can not lie on normal pillows at all. My current pillow that I bought last year is a memory foam pillow with a shape designed for people with arthritis. My life is a misery because of this. Does anyone else experience this problem?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

have you tried a simple neck pillow over the regular pillow to hole the neck in place and take the weight and pressure of the sore areas. sleep on your back is also helpful.i also use lidocaine patches on my shoulders and neck helps a lot as well as warm heat treatments. no lifting or harsh movements and during the day i wear a soft neck brace. after a few days of treatment and rest it does help put the pain in remission.

• Posted

Hello Hope4cure,

I haven't tried 2 pillows. I can't have my head raised, it would cause severe pain, I am afraid. I can only go to sleep laying on my left side. I used to wear a neck collar. It got worn, I asked for another one, but was told they no longer recommend them. Due to disability I don't do lifting or anything strainus. I have had this episode since last February. I find the odd mention. Then it became nightly. I bought a new mattress and it got a lot worse, so sent that one back, and got another one. It is a long waiting game, to see what that MRI reveals, if anything different. I doubt my other problems are related, due to knowing my normal fondness for comfort eating. But I have completely lost my appetite, and have to force myself to eat a little. I have lost one stone, in a matter of 2 weeks. I am sweating daily and having hot flushes. I need to get my thyroid tested again, as I do wonder if I am now on too higher a dose. But I thought this earlier in the year, and they said my blood test was ok. My appetite started to disappear shortly after me banning myself from milk chocolate.

I haven't heard of lidocaine patches, but I will check them out. Thank you for taking time to reply. Accuse my spelling.

• Posted

neck supports like for airplanes or 4"X8" filled with buckwheat or flack seed. i have a herniated disc in my neck . check online for these small neck wraps designed to cradle and support the neck.

i swear by them and have used them over my pillow for many years. Its not at all like sleeping on two pillows these cradle and support the neck. ill send a pm.

• Posted

Thank you Hope4cure,

I have just read your two messages. I will have a look at neck wraps, and I am going to look online for a soft neck collar. When I wore one over 20 years ago, when my neck flared up, it helped. I didn't have broadband back then. I am also going to ask my GP about Lidocaine patches. I have found out there is a steroid injection that can be given for the neck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.