My nephew started sertraline , can he drink while on it

Posted , 4 users are following.

My nephew is 18 in second week of 50mg of sertraline and suffers depression and health anxiety. He does like to have a drink with friends sometimes as he is young , will this be ok, does anyone else drink whilst on sertraline ? Did anyone notice more worsening anxiety after drinking?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, yes you can but he might wake up with a bit of a hangover. I have had a few beers on 50g and I have been fine.
  • Posted

hello

​wouldn't recommened it at all, neither would DR's. can send you spirraling back if not carefull, alld epends on how much you actually drink on the night, the next morning can be hell

• Posted

I don't see an issue if it's 1-3 drinks. Binge drinking will likely worsen his depression issues as it does for most. I took 75mg of Zoloft and occasionally had a few drinks without issue. Just remember everything in moderation.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.