my nerves issues and vitamin b12

Posted , 3 users are following.

femele/ 23 years

i have some nerves issues and my vitamin b12 came up with 258 ng/l

my doctor said it could be the reason behind my nerves issue.even though the normal range is 200-800. could be??

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

At 258 ng/l although this is probably flagged as "Normal" it is at the very low end of the range and if you are having neurological symptoms you really ought to be treated by your doctor for Vitamin B12 Deficiency in accordance with the B.N.F and N.I.C.E guidelines.

Treatment of cobalamin deficiency

Current clinical practice within the U.K is to treat cobalamin deficiency with hydroxocobalamin in the intramuscular form outlined in the British National Formulary, BNF, 

Standard initial therapy for patients without neurological involvement is 1000 µg intramuscularly (i.m.) three times a week for two weeks, then every three months. 

The BNF advises that for Pernicious anaemia and other macrocytic anaemias patients presenting with neurological symptoms should receive 1000 µg i.m. on alternative days until there is no further improvement, then 1 mg every 2 months.

However, the GWG recommends a pragmatic approach in patients with neurological symptoms by reviewing the need for continuation of alternative day therapy after three weeks of treatment.

In addition I suggest that you ask your doctor to check your Folate level as this is essential to process any B12 supplementation you are given.

I am not a medically qualified person but one who has had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 Deficiency) for 45 years.

I wish you well. 

• Posted

HI there Raneem,  when I was diagnosed my b12 was 117 and I was having blindness in left eye. I do best with my b12 at 800 . I'm in the US and our levels are different . I have read that Europe has a lot higher levels. I don't know or always believe Drs. with the level situation . Not everyone fits in the box. Best of luck

• Posted

Interesting that you had problems with your left eye.  Was it the retina that was damaged?

I remember 45 years ago being "warned" by my then doctor that P.A. may damage my eyes and that they would be regularly checked.  

They never were by any of the succceeding doctors I saw down through the years nor by any of the nurses that gave me the the B12 injections.

However I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes two years ago and during the first of the routine annual eye tests damage to my left retina was found.

When I asked my curent doctor whether it was the P.A or the diabetes that had caused it she said she didn't know.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.