My new job is very difficult and makes me feel really anxious. Is there something I can do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello!

I'm now 25 and I left my miserable retail job of nearly five-years and for the past four-months I have been working for my uncle as a professional fundrasier. However, my performance in the job flutters from good to bad and I'm finding it really difficult to cope.

The job itself requires an immense amount of confidence and on my weeks where I work alone and without a colleague, I find that I always struggle. I can barely engage in conversation with members of the public and more often than not I tend to ignore them, which has severely impacted my progress in the job and has put me at risk of losing it because if I fail to find potential donors, then I can no longer afford money to travel to work.

I have no idea what I'm going to do but I have a constant feeling of pressure inside of me and I'm forever worrying before, during and after work. I don't want to lose my job but I can't seem to just let myself go and do what's needed to be a good employee.

Please, if anyone can help me and offer me advice I will be extremely grateful.

Thanks!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What sort of things do you go through or you think about that makes you anxious at your job??

Mackie

• Posted

It's strange but I'm not entirely sure as I have proved that I can do the job on many occasions but I mostly fear rejection and making the first move to interact with people, which is what my job is all about.

• Posted

I feel you, I work in a kitchen and we serve the food and I have a hard time sometimes talking to the clients are trying to spit out what we are serving, that's anxiety for yah I guess.....

• Posted

I'm literally travelling to work now and I'm worried about it already. In my head I envision myself talking to the public but in reality I shy away and come home disappointed in myself.

I've had days where I do well and feel confident but lately I'm not feeling very good about myself.

• Posted

You just gotta give urself a pep talk before or on the way 2 work, say 2day is going 2 be a good day, it's corny I know but I find it helps, if you go into work miserable or self doubght then we'll that's half your problem.

Good luck

• Posted

Thanks! I have tried that before and found that I had better days because of it. Today wasn't so great in the end but I'll put it down to experience.

• Posted

Do you get anxious or anxiety at home or away from the work place? Workplace anxiety is a thing....
    • Posted

I'm only anxious at home when I worry about going to work the next day. I can sometimes feel anxiety when I'm in crowded places, restaurants and when I'm speaking with certain people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.