My new knee really doesn't like driving

Posted , 8 users are following.

had right TKR just before Xmas, have had my follow up appt and consultant generally very happy. Have tried to drive small distances and pain in knee is very bad and lasts a couple of days each time, I need to drive to be able to return to work, anyone else having this problem

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Susan I am very sorry that u r having discomfort in your knee have u tried doing squats in the pool at a recreational facility? Up & Down the pool of course I know u understand that being in water alleviate some of the pain and soreness I hope this helps u, it will be 2 years for me in May & I still have soreness so good luck and hope u feel better soon & get the results that u r looking for take care.

• Posted

Thank you I had considered a gym or pool as I have been signed off from physio as I have managed sufficient movement in the joint, will give it a go 
  • Posted

I had the TKR Nov 1. Had manipulation under sedation 2 weeks ago so drove for the 1st time last weekend. Returned to work part time on Thurs, a 30 minute drive on busy hwys. My driving leg too of course and it's very painful transitioning from gas pedal to break. I've found that if I hold my leg under the right knee when I drive it helps the pain. Gotta do what I gotta do to get back to work.

• Posted

How many Degrees were u able to been your knee b4 u were discharged ? When I got through with Physical Thearpy I was able to bend it 130 degrees but now, I don't know. LOL Have a good day.

• Posted

Hi, I had my RIght TKR January 8, 2018. 26 days ago. Friday I was able to straighten leg to “0” degree and the bend was at 120. My pain level has been maybe the worse at a “5”for me.  I’m not bragging on myself but on God blessing me. They told me Friday at therapy that I could drive a little. I drove his truck that afternoon over to a field when my husband was farming and it didn’t bother me. I sure hope it stays that way since I drive a school bus. I did find that using Biofreeze on leg (I didn’t put it on the scar) has really helped me with the muscle pain and soreness. Mine has not swollen very much either. Praying you get better. 
  • Posted

I had right knee done 13 months ago. I could not drive for nine weeks. To be a safe driver you must be able to get from gas to brake in a flash. I practiced in the driveway just trying to slam my foot down. Getting in and out of the car was also difficult. I wasn’t able to return to work for five months. I came hone exhausted and swollen. Please don’t rush your recovery. You are only about 5 weeks post op. I would say it took a year to be fully recovered.

Ellie

• Posted

It's a;; very individual.  First, you need to be off all the heavy narcotics to drive.  No choice.  Second. Gotta have your ROM back. That takes anywhere up to 2-3 months of intensive PT and work at home.  That gives you the flexion to bend and straighten the knee so you can drive.  Finally, there are the strength exercises.  By now, your quads, glutes and core are all atrophied so you need the strength to pick up your leg from the gas, move it to the brake and push down hard.  Clutch is another ball game.  It takes concerted effort, commitment and work to get to this point.  Give it time...do the work...be patient. 

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/tkr-rom-work-at-home-620053

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

• Posted

I started driving 6 weeks post op but only because I have an automatic transmission otherwise I would have left it longer.

I’m now 12 months post tkr and I still have days when my knee is stiff and somewhat uncomfortable.

Don’t rush things, you’ve had one of the most major surgeries are is and it takes time, lots of it 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.