My new scar is bigger and different to the last one

Posted , 10 users are following.

Last night I saw my new scar for the first time, and what a surprise I had.  The surgeon did not follow the line of the previous posterior scar from my THR & first revision, he has had to take a different line, presumably to be able to get at the ceramic debris after it shattered.  The new line starts near my waist surprised and goes well forward of the old one, in what I presume is a lateral approach.  It's also much longer, the old one was about nine inches (23cm), but the new one is at least a foot (30+ cm) long eek.

It looks and feels like it's healing well if the itching around it is anything to go by, and there appear to be no 'dead spots' from nerve damage either.lol

The old scar from October 2015 (same incision used for the January 2016 revision) has almost totally disappeared now.  At the time, you wonder just what it's going to look like on the beach, well give it a bit of time, and it should look fine.

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Dear Graham so glad to hear that everything seems to be going well for you. Keep up the good work! Best wishes Richard
  • Posted

You’re so right, initially your scar looks so prominent, but then it just fades and is barely noticeable. How interesting that yours is do different this time! 

All the best, 

Judith

• Posted

My scars are in line with the side seam of my underpants/knickers, annoying really, as in the first instance they had a tendency of rubbing on the seam line.

But great news, that you are doing soooo well, itching, that's a good sign as you are only too well aware.

Wondered if you have had any down times, or black dog, another poster asked this exact question, and the answer for me was YES, does not seem to be unusual with most hippies.

Best wishes to you from a very smokey North Brisbane, lots of bush fires about, some lit to try for some control if a really big fire breaks out, and like you in England as dry as a chip, you have probably read about the eastern states drought, NOT GOOD i'm afraid. 

• Posted

Most people get the old Black Dog depression at some stage, but so far this time I haven't.  Mind you I had more than my fair share of it after the last 2 operations especially when I was told the ceramic was misplaced, then being told he wasn't able to move it..

We have had a really hot summer - when I was in hospital - but rain has broken the spell now.  Watch that grass grow now!

• Posted

Wow. That's a biggy. I'm sure in a couple of years it will be well faded like the others. 

Sounds like you're doing well. Hope this new revision is everything you hope. 

God speed your recovery. 

D

• Posted

You’ll be fine at the beach as long as you don’t wear a Speedo.  Continue healing 
  • Posted

Graham

Unlike Steve I'm all for wearing speedos and showing off my scar (which I think may be even bigger than yours) unfortunately I don't think the rest of my body justifies wearing speedos so my scar will be covered in baggy shorts.

Glad you are progressing well

Mike

• Posted

Like you, the length of scar doesn't really worry me, but it does worry some people, and  I was surprised at just how well the old scar has blended in.

I now have an interesting pattern of a 9 inch straight posterior scar and a foot long lateral dog-leg.

• Posted

I would much prefer to have a slightly larger scar and the ability of the surgeon to actually move about easily than have a small scar with the possibility of nerve damage. In fact I can hardly see my scar, so I can’t show it off in my bikini!
    • Posted

I entirely agree with you. My scar from last year is almost gone and my posterior approach revision is excellent. It is just worth mentioning that this year it had to take my entire weight for several months as I had to have a total ankle replacement revision on my ankle on the opposite side. Cheers Richard
    • Posted

Absolutely, let the surgeon have as much room as he needs to do a good job.

I think I'd look odd in a bikini though eek, so mine's not going on show other than in the shower and gym changing room cool

• Posted

Well that gave me a good a chuckle ........ thanks folks, laughter is the best medicine.

Actually, I am celebrating the best night's sleep so far, no itching last night, I just fell asleep like a log, mind you I was so tired after walking about in town yesterday.

I practised some 'straight leg lifts' before getting up this morning to 'wake up' the muscles (I remember this from last time), it really does do the trick as I am walking around the house without sticks totally normally now. 

Every day I seem to notice some little progress, like being able to balance on the operated leg yesterday whilst waiting for a bus (yes, I cheated to get to the next town, but just for the chance of a different view).  As always, I note these things down, and look back a few days later to see my progress, I find it very encouraging.

• Posted

Dear Graham congratulations with your recovery, sounds as if you are doing really, really well. If anyone deserves success it is you. Keep up the good work!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

You are doing brilliantly. You must be so relieved things are going well. I am looking forward to seeing your holiday snaps in your mankini! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.