My OLP

Posted , 5 users are following.

Has anyone got any tips for how to sooth my sore stinging tongue . .Due to my OLP I am using a steroid mouth wash from my doctor but its doing nothing for the tip and sides of my tongue where it hurts the most, can't eat or drink without this awful stinging it feels like my tongue has slits in it but can't really see anything. I would be very pleased to hear if anyone has any remedies for this . Thankyou

Sn

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

sheilaj123, Sorry your having such difficulity eating and living with the pain. I get some relief from gargling  with baking soda-water several times a day and the prescription Clobetasol Ointment - it's a very think salve you put on your tongue, although the first thing I would do is email your doctor and and tell him/her that the mouthwash isn't working and you need something stronger. 

Hang in there it takes several different meds to find the one that works for you, just be persistent!

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Linda

Thankyou so much for that advise . I will try the baking soda water now. I have only been on the steroid mouth wash for 5 days , i have a 2 week script but if i see no improvement after a full week then i will be back in touch with my doctor to ask about clobetasol

Thankyou so much linda i really appreciate your advise

• Posted

Sure thing! That's what we are all here for. We're all in this boat together. wink

• Posted

I use steroid mouth rinse that has lidocaine in it. Takes the edge off. Or maybe ask for straight lidocan. Cut sugar and carbs out of your diet for a week . Drink only water, this helps me heal within days. Hope this helps. I've had this for 8 years and have little answers

• Posted

Hi Manda

Thanks for your advise i am willing to try just about anything. Ive only been diagnosed with this awful condition a few months. So its all new to me . I have the skin LP aswell as OLP . Its the OLP thats driving me mad . So sore .im using a steroid mouthwash have been for 5 days so have to see how it gos. Trial and error at the moment. Thanks for your input Manda Take Care

• Posted

Hi Manda, feels good to see someone writing in here who has been dealing with this for a while. thanks for the point about sugar, its something i will try too. have you also been helped by the no gluten advice that seems to be around? i have been told to cut out coffee too, but that would be death for me.
    • Posted

Cutting sugar and carbs helps BUT I have to follow a very strict "paleo diet" no carbs ,sugar ,gluten ,dairy nothing processed or packaged.and obviously no fruit even tho thats aloud on paleo. It's pure starvation in my eyes but IT WORKS and i usually get a good 3 or 4 days OFF the diet to eat whatever i want before my mouth fills back up. The key is to go back on as soon as you feel the first suspicion of a sore because it gets out of control FAST. I try to do 4 or 5 days ON the diet then about 3 OFF and repeat. I would like to try to stay on the diet longer periods but I went from 165 pounds to 115 in less than 6 months and im trying my hardest to hold on to what weight i have. And I cannot ever drink coffee. I miss it but for me it was always instant flare ups!! I hope you can find something that makes you feel a little bit in control. It's just Not fair. Keep telling myself i could have worse things wrong. Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Sheila,

i was clinically diagnosed with olp about 5 years ago, and have tried everything; finally found that diet management was what kept it under control and allowed me to function. for the stinging and burning, what works best for me is keeping ice cubes in the mouth for a while, till you get [temporary] relief. steroid ointments or washes work, but are also symptomatic fixes, so this seems to be a better option. also, what helped me in the initial days was using lidocaine ointments for a while before eating so that the numbing helped me eat. and yes, no spice, that you might have figured out already. textured foods are also a problem when the flare up is at its height, so smooth pureed foods, shakes, smoothies etc, are a great relief. hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi their

Thanks so much for your advise . I have certainly learnt that a proper meal is out of the question !! Went to my hygenist in the week for some work i need doing unfortunatly she said she wont be able to carry out any work in my mouth as its to sore. She is making an appointment for me at the hospital to get checked out. So maybe i will get some meds then . I have even resorted to farleys rusks with warm milk. How sad is that . Haha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.