My op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Got my op the 5th of sep anyone got any happy storys im so scared !!!!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I know it's scary, and reading a lot of the scary stories certainly put you off. Please remember that the vast majority of procedures are a success, something like >95%. I had my surgery laparoscopically on 14 July, so four and a half or so weeks ago, and it has gone really well. Straight after surgery I knew I felt better than before. I had been in a lot of pain and discomfort for such a long time. Of course there will be some pain initially. It will hurt to sit up, and get up, and you may not be able to sleep on your back for a little while. They will have given you morphine while you are still in theatre, and in Recovery will ask your pain levels. If you are still in pain they will top up your morphine. I was advised to take my pain medication around the clock for the first few days up to a week. I just took paracetamol and ibuprofen. I still eat smaller portions, but have been able to eat pretty much normally. I also never had the diarrhoea problems a lot of people had. My scars are all healing well. I still have some bloating, but am hoping that will go as the internal healing completes. 

Try not to worry. I don't know how I'll you have been, but I am so happy I had the surgery. Good luck x

• Posted

you wont know anything about it,you will be put asleep,wake up all done,you will probably be sent home next day, my advise to you is take it easy,no lifting or akward movements, my pain was unbearable before the operation,was rushed into emergency, mine was done xmas 2016, still some upper pain,but getting there,hundred times better than before op, all best,
  • Posted

Everyone is scared of having surgery, Tara. The nurses are used to people being afraid and they should put you at ease. You go down to theatre, they administer an anaesthetic and you wake up a short while afterwards and it's all over! Yes you will be sore and uncomfortable for a couple of weeks afterwards and you will have to watch what you eat, but it's never as bad as you imagine it will be. It's certainly better than the painful gallbladder attacks. Take your painkillers as prescribed, rest and take it steady - no lifting for a while (yippee that rules out most housework!) I am 67 and had open surgery followed by further surgery five weeks later through the same incision. I'm now almost six months post op and just about back to normal. Found bras uncomfortable, so wore cropped vest style tops for a while and also waistbands were uncomfortable, but I'm back in my jeans now. Still have some discomfort on rh side especially if I lie on that side and I tire easily but other than that I'm fine, eating normally, scar has healed and everything is in working order. I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine- the vast majority are.

• Posted

Hi Tara

I had my Gallbladder removed june 2016, It was a doddle. I asked for advice before I was discharged.

I was told to stay away from dairy for a year and also cooking oils, ie veg oil sunflower oil. Stilck to olive oil, cocunut oil or rapseed. Keep away from chip shops, pastry. I followed this and have been fine ever since,

When I got home I was lucky enough to go to my mums and be spoilt, layed arounf in bed for 3 days. Taking it very easy, spent a week altogether, drinking lots of water stayed away from tea and coffee. Only eat most fruit for first 3 to 4 days. Took pain killers only first two days. Whatever I did worked I was right as rain, come the end of the first week. If you feel something is not right at any point after go straight back. DONT FORGET rest is very important.

Take care I'm sure you will be fine.

Sharon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.