my operationis in july for Hallux Valgus Bunion

Posted , 13 users are following.

hi my operation is on the 17th of July im having a bunion and 2nd toe done

im worried I will put on lots of weight as  im normally running around

what exercise  would be ok to do and when could I start them please

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I’m sorry as I can’t advise you. I would hope you have a better relationship with your doctor than I did with the one who did mine in April. 

I want to stress through, “if” your doctor had told you you will be 6 -  8 weeks non weight bearing, I hope you are under 40 and not over weight. Being non-weight bearing for someone of the stats that I mention, will be extremely difficult, and you might slip into a bit of depression. Those are things doctors never discuss. Good luck.

• Posted

I had surgery 2 wks ago, my job is on my feet, and very active otherwise as well .. sitting on my behind A LOT has been the hardest .. i usually do yoga, look up chair yoga for some good stretches .. can do squats with my knee scooter to keep some lower body tone, and using small free weights for upper body. also, soups are fairly satisfying and nourishing , not burning as many calories now, that helps with weight  :] hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi Susan,

I am 4 months post op. 2 x bunions removed. I worried about putting on loads of weight too. I'm usually very active, walking , yoga, swimming, gardening etc. yes, you will find that for about 3 weeks that you just have to take things easy while your foot heals. I grew quite bored. After week 4, I began walking a little bit every day, a week later I was back on the treadmill in my bedroom, gentle walking etc. I did gain about 6 pounds in the first 4 weeks after surgery. I was so bored I just ate! I am more active now and have lost the pounds I gained. I think the key is to get moving a little bit after the first 3 weeks and gradually increase steps. I think I still have a way to go before I say I m completely back to my previous fitness level. Consultant said it takes about 6 months to completely heal. I did get a bit depressed at about week 6, fed up with not getting about the way I used to. Now, so glad I got the op done. Love looking at straight toes! Just take it one day at a time, don't try run before you can walk

• Posted

Calories in calories out! I lost 2 stone to have operation. So far regained a stone. You can't run, walk or swim. I was hobbling before operation!

So you have to decide, do I want to be thin or do I want the operation to be successful.

I just want to walk without pain, how I look is well down on my list.

• Posted

I lost almost two stones whilst recuperating Susan, did very little exercise, was bored (although it will be easier in summer, especially if you have a garden) had a bit of depression because I struggled to find shoes. I have two really comfy pairs now one open toed and one mule (bought online from Pavers) Take the painkillers for as long as you need them, put your feet up, in the garden if you have one, and accept that it will take 6 months to 18 months to get back to normal. My foot still swells if I wear the wrong shoes or stand too much and it is just 5 months since my op. I promise its worth it in the long run Susan.  Take care.

Janet

• Posted

Hi Susan,

Had my op (both bunions) nearly 4 weeks ago. I have 5 kids and would normally be driving, working, going to the gym, cleaning, cooking.....lucky to have 5 minutes downtime. So I found the sitting SO boring,......but necessary. My feet puff up and get achy if I stand or walk too much. 

Having said that, I too was very worried about the weigh gain. As soon as the stitches were out I started Pilates with my physiotherapist. The reformer machine lets you get a pretty decent workout without putting any pressure on the balls of your feet, and there's no balancing required (I've found my balance has been out of whack with my big toes out of action) I go three times a week and have been slowly building up my time walking each day.

I do have to put my feet up afterwards for at least an hour, but I tend to let my body dictate how much I do and how much rest I need. 

I think a little weight gain is inevitable if you've been super active, the trick is to keep a positive mindset. Depression will be a worse enemy than a few extra kilos! 

I keep telling myself that I'll have abs of steel after 8 weeks....and pain free, straight feet are worth a little sacrifice right?

Good luck, and be kind to yourself!

• Posted

Hi

Generally post operative exercise is dependent on the type of surgical procedures you are having, what operation are you having on your second toe and have you been advised as to whether or not the toe is being fused with a wire, if so this will restrict your activities.

• Posted

I'm not sure what type of operation I had, but in addition to the bunion, I had an implant in the joint.  Anyway, now I'm 4.5 weeks out of surgery.  I had only necessary walking (to bathroom) for 4 of those weeks and wear a short boot.  I have a knee scooter to get around.  So far, my wound is not closing up properly.  I think they took the stitches out too soon.  Anyway, I continue to wear my small boot and only walk a little bit with it.  Regarding your weight question.  In these 4.5 weeks, I have gained about 6 pounds.  Being bored, it seems I'm always hungry and eat all the time.  Good luck!  

• Posted

Hi Susan

I had a similar op to yours on both feet, 4 years ago. I didn't put any weight on as because I wasn't as active as usual, I didn't eat so much. The little weight that you may put on will soon come off anyway once you start becoming active again. Really just concentrate on getting better and don't worry. Honestly, you will be fine and just remember that you will be able to wear lovely shoes before you know it X

• Posted

First of all best of luck, you will do great! I've read lots of forums and can honestly say it depends on what exactly your surgeon will do. There are different techniques and healing methods afterwards from every site I've read.

I'm 4 weeks from level 3 bunionetecomy on both feet. First week was in little cast booties and that's all. I've been working, driving, back at gym at week 2. 5 so it really depends. I still can only fit sneakers and definitely have pain moments but after reading a lot on this forum, I think how you recover depends on what your surgeon does exactly and their method. I'm in NZ and he did 2 cuts, used 2 heated staples on bone then other cut by my toe he used one staple and also went in and shaved bit extra off. If I could attach pics here I'd show you the feet recovery pics x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.