My oral thrush has become much worse ...........

Posted , 6 users are following.

because of the regular antibiotics I have to take 3 times a week. I have also had to have a number of courses (14 days) of antibiotics which have contributed. Two months I had to have a course of fluconazole because the concentration of candida in my sputum was high. This helped curb the oral thrush, but 2 weeks ago it came back with a vengeance, I could hardly swallow, red spots in my mouth and covering my tongue which was very sore, throat sore, indigestion type pain. The sputum test again showed high candida.

I understand that systemic fungal infection are very difficult to treat so have stopped my regular antibiotics. This is not good either, but do not know what else to do. Fluconazole make me feel very ill too.

Can anyone help with this? I take natural bio yogurt which has the friendly bacteria in, yakult and friendly bacteria in capsule form containing the highest number of friendly bacteria I can find. Am now reducing sugar in my diet. Always been prone to thrush down below which is now worse, but in the mouth and throat etc it is causing me a lot  of problems.

Thank you for all the help you have given me in the past. Please can you help with this? Does anyone experience this?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I don't have near the concerns you do as I'm not on any antibiotics at this time but I am on a Breo inhaler and one of the common side effects is thrush. I've been on it for only a couple of months but have had no evidence of thrush. I like to think this is because I have a kefir smoothie every morning for breakfast. From what I've read, it's more effective than yogurt to deal with the bacteria we all have in our gut. I purchased some kefir grains from Amazon and have started making my own so it's much more cost effective than buying it ready made.  I've also read it's about the best thing we can do to boost our immune systems so that we're not as vulnerable to colds, the flu, etc. If  you're not familiar with kefir, here's a link that I've found very helpful...

Hope you find this information useful. I wish you the best!

Blessings,

Barb

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Barb, Thank you for that information I am going to get some and have a go at the smoothies. 

Hugs Pam

• Posted

I wish you the best, Pam! If you want any more specific info, please feel free to email me directly. I see that the administrator deleted the links I included on my original email...  :=/
  • Posted

Hi Janet, I do feel for you , as I used to get this problem a lot when I was younger and in the end after a year or more I found out myself that it was me that was taking brewers yeast tablet supliments that was making it a lot worse, and I was never told  this at the hospital clinic that I was attending for Thrush, so yeast in bread , alchol ect needs to be reduced.Now I have BX and I now  take the AZ antibiotics three times a week, and although I can tell I have thrush in my mouth it is not too bad and I cope with it .As you have said sugar is a magnet for thrush and needs to be taken in the smallest of quantitys. Do have a look on Goolge to see if you can get any  help, It sounds as if you are taking the right kind of good bacteria, I have the actidopholos , (Not sure if that is the spelling.) I hope you get this sorted,

Hugs Pam.

• Posted

Hello Pam

Thank you for your reply. It is good to know someone else has had this. I have looked at google and shall reduce my yeast in take as well, it just seems a lot all at once with the sugar being the worst. To help cope with the tiredness I have been eating more sugary food. Does not help much I know now. Thank you though and a big hug from me. You are on the same antibiotics as me but I have stopped them for the time being.

• Posted

Hi Janet,

I'm in hospital for treatment currently on a regime of 4 IV antibiotics and developed oral thrush within the first week.  They are treating using nystan (oral suspension that you put on the tongue), an antiseptic mouthwash and the fluconazole.  It cleared within 3 days and has stayed away for the last couple of weeks.  Hope this helps.

Regards 

Dave

• Posted

Hi Janet,

I have the same problem, that's why I usually avoid AZ, but I know it's a dumb idea. My advice to you is to take oil of wild oregano, it does wonders for your lungs and it can reduce candida growth, and speak to your doctor about the thrush issues, maybe he or she can give you some sort of treatment.

A note of warning about the oregano oil: it hinders iron absorption, so it should be taken for no longer than two weeks, unfortunately. It's the only thing keeping my lungs clear and making me feel healthy again, but I'm battling anemia right now because of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.