My Orlistat experience

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi There

I started taking Orlistat in May 2009 and was on it until January 2010.

I thought i would post about the whole experience as I know this would have helped to ease my mind when i first started taking them!

So...

First of all I am 21 now (started the pills at 20yrs) and I am 5foot 2inches (and a bit lol). When I was first prescribed Orlistat by the GP I weighed 15stone 3pounds. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but I thought I would try them, but I didn't actually expect any weight loss.

I followed a low fat diet and did a moderate amount of excercise but I didn't go over the top. I started losing weight quickly, and in the first month I lost just over a stone! This weight loss carried on for the next few months at the same rate, by October 2009 I was 11 and a half stone!

I did have the dreaded toilet side effects when I had the occasional home made curry or sneaky KFC, but this only put me off eating the 'bad stuff' even more, meaning the weight kept coming off.

When I finished the pills I weighed 9stone 3lbs. Fantastic eh?

Well, problem is now, I have developed a bit of a eating 'problem'.

I had categorized food into BAD STUFF and GOOD STUFF for so long that it is hard to get out of this routine. Since the end of January I have lost yet more weight alone without the help of the blueys and now weigh 7st 12 lbs

Yes I lost alot of weight - FANTASTIC!

But now I can't stop and this could be a slipery spiral!

So just beware of the 'weight loss addiction' which probably doesn't happen to many people (depending on your personality in the first place)

I am seeing a dietian which will help but I wish I had taken things a bit slower now!

Good Luck x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I agree with that!

ive only been on the pills about 2 weeks & even in the 1st few days I was freaking out a bit about the amount of fat in food & was staying away from lots of healthy things in case I get \"the oils\" so far touch wood no \"oils\" at all! I would go round the shops & nearly have a panic attack looking at packets & slinging them back because there was fat in the food & I would do this even with low fat things.

In a way it is a good thing to keep the mind set of being on the pills even if your not but I see how much of a problem it can be.

I really do think GP's are just slinging these pills at people to lose weight & not taking into consideration how they can make people feel or how it can easily alter your perception of food.

• Posted

Hi,

thanks for sharing your experience - and well done on the weight loss :D

You've got me thinking now..........

I have never had a good 'relationship' with food. I grew up being constantly told I was fat - but I was actually thin!! When I was 19 I went through a lot of stress and stopped eating properly. I went down to 7st 11.

Things improved, and my weight went back to a normal 9st 10, but it took a long time and was quite difficult - believe it or not :?

Yet more stress and battling cancer followed and my weight went up to where I am now. I feel I am now ready to tackle my weight problem, but there is a little bit of me thinking that I'll 'go too far' with it.

I suppose I'll just have to see how it goes. Fingers crossed my love of chocolate will keep me right :lol:

I keep telling myself it's better to be on the leaner side than being obese/overweight and risk heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and cancer returning. I am praying I live to see my children grow up.

Any other thoughts/experiences on this anyone??

• Posted

I dont know if i agree that the tablets have given me a negative approach to food but it certainly polices me, for me the tablets always steer me to the right types of food but the portion control and calorie intake is down to me.

i think honestly i know what foods i should be eating, including amount of food, but the tablets really make me focus, im happy so far.

Carley

• Posted

I found with these tablets its more about rationing for me, i still eat most of the things i did before only i look for healthier options and treat myself less. I don't deprive myself of anything, i have re-educated myself to look for better alternatives or different cooking methods.

I think some people on here go too far with trying to stay under 30g a day, to the point where they're having only a few g's per meal - how do you maintain that once the weights dropped and you're off the blueys?

• Posted

I've been on them for about 2 weeks now and had my first (and nasty) oil experience. Luckily, it wasn't in the form of a leak, but rather an explosive episode when took a trip to the bathroom.

I had a fatty meal a few days ago so I was kinda expecting it.

Listen to your stomach. :D If you get that cramp feeling first thing in the morning, RUN! run like you've never ran before to that bathroom.

• Posted

Wise words! :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.