My OTHER Leg is My "BAD LEG"!

Posted , 6 users are following.

My left knee underwent surgery five weeks ago. Outside of swelling and trouble with bending and straightening, it is doing OK.

My BIG PROBLEM continues to be my RIGHT LEG from waist to ankle and especially each joint along the way.

I will be getting a TKR on my right knee in several months, but IN THE MEANTIME I am having to deal with increased pain, weakness, and in general very unsupportive behavior for its buddy, Left Knee.

I would appreciate ANY tips or tricks or ideas or suggestions from anyone who has has one knee done and waited on the second one.

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Cheryl, I was in very similar situation as yourself, 13 week ago I had one knee done pkr , I didn't no untill they went in if it would be full or part, really annoying, then was hoping to get second one done( , again , not knowing if it was to be full or half, ) by the end of July, which would have given the first one 12weeks to get as good as it could, but mean while the one waiting was getting soooo bad, and holding back the new one, pluss I ended up with an appointment at the end of September , well I new I would never make it that far, I was in agony all ready as I'd been working really hard to get the new one as strong as possible, so it could manage to cope with the long haule with the next one, 😟so I started badgering I guess you could call it, I call it panicking, and after a lot of panicing I managed to get an appointment ,( cancelation ) for 2 weeks latter, brilliant.so my first one had had eleven weeks to recover, and I worked it really hard. I had the second one done, which  thank god was a pkr again, I'm now nearly 2 weeks post op, the stay in a private hospital, but me an NHS patient , was horrendous , I've posted on here about that, should you want to look. And when I came home after 2 nights I felt awfull, I also has a bladder infection , I was very low, . But now I'm much stronger, all the work I had put in, has defernatly paid off. Second knee coming on a lot faster than first did. I new there was no way my legs , either of them would have managed a long wait, and I'm really pleased I pushed to get them done sooner. Best of luck hope this helps.😀I'm 54 by the way.
    • Posted

Hi Mandy!

Thanks for sharing your experience! It is VERY HARD when BOTH KNEES are so bad! I try to be strong, go for it, keep on keeping on, but as you and others know, that is REALLY HARD to do when EVERY movement, every step HURTS!

My surgeon says about three to four months between surgeries. I see him in a couple weeks again which will be seven weeks since my initial surgery. I hope, like you, I will be able to get going on Knee #2. Looking at my X-RAYS of BONE-ON-BONE and bowed legs was a true eye opener to me. There was NO DOUBT it was TIME!

I'm SO SORRY that your hospital experience was not a good one. Yes, I certainly would like to read of your experience there. Can you give me the title of your post?

Looking forward to learning more about surviving while waiting for #2 surgery!

Take care! Congratulations for sticking to your guns and getting going on Knee #2!

• Posted

Hi Cheryl , it just comes under second op, it starts as you'll see with me saying about going back in, lots of replies, just keep scrolling through,. X
    • Posted

Just found it and responded.

Unbelievable situation! So sorry you had to go through that!

• Posted

I went through that but found that as my left leg got stronger the pain in my right leg is better. I did all my exercises with both legs. I only get twinges on right now and even though I know and feel it's bone on bone it is nowhere near as painful. Hopefully you will follow this pattern. I am not having my right one done as planned I am waiting now until pain kicks in. I have notices that muscle strengthening and weight loss have really helped both legs. Use your crutch temporarily to take pressure off the other leg Good luck you are not alone.
  • Posted

Would a brace of some kind help the (good =bad) knee in the short term? Just as extra support...I am wearing one on the operated knee for stair adventures as the quad continues to be weak. Just gives me some peace of mind that I won't go down on my head. I think all of you going for the second one are very brave souls. I have to say at this point I would not have had the first one done if I knew then what I know now.
    • Posted

Knee brace! I hadn't THOUGHT of that! I bet that would help a lot. Between the cane and the brace I bet I begin to experience less trouble. Thank you for the idea!
  • Posted

are you putting a lot more weight on your right foot to protect your left because that happaned to me, try and keep your weight even on each leg. good luck.
    • Posted

I have been walking in a really weird way for SO LONG that honestly I don't know how to walk NORMALLY anymore!

My right leg hip to foot has been my "Bad Leg" since about 2007. I have put more weight on the left, I think, because of the extra pains felt in the right. I did my left leg FIRST, thinking it would be stronger once I went into surgery for the right knee.

You make an EXCELLENT POINT, however, about trying to even out the weight to BOTH LEGS. That has GOT to help!

Thank you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.