My PAE at UCLA April, 2019

Posted , 22 users are following.

I had my PAE on April 23rd , 2019. I went with Dr Justin P. McWilliams at UCLA. Today is Friday the 26th, 3 days after.

My prostate was 70CC with no median lobe issues. I am 54 years old and I live in Los Angeles. I had 3 complete retentions over the past 2 years and so it was time for me to take action.

I want to write a detailed report to this forum only because I would have never know of PAE if it were not for this forum. Today is day 3 and I will update over time.

The procedure itself was easy, but long, about 3-1/2 hours.

They put me under a twilight sedation, meaning I was awake. I may have dozed off here and there but I felt like I was present for the whole procedure.

After the procedure was done, Doc said everything went great !

I was discharged at about 4pm and my wife was there to drive me home in L. A. Rush hour traffic. It was a long 1-1/2 hr drive and I felt the need to pee the whole way. I had a pee bottle but it never got to that point. When I got home I pee’d a fiery stream that burned the head of my penis.

The first night was hell with intense pain at the end of my penis. I did not sleep a wink because I was up every 5 minutes to pee. Yesterday was better, peeing about every 20 minutes but still with intense pain and today, I am sitting here writing this with about 1-1/2 hours since last I pee’d. Pain is subsiding. I thought I would be back at work in 2 days, but not in my case!

Last night I was able to get some sleep and lasted about 3 hours before I awoke, it was a strange sensation…I always wake up about 3 hours after I go to bed with a strong urgency to pee, but last night seemed different, the urgency was not so strong. Something is changing in my body and I hope it keeps on going!

Right now, starting the stream is a little difficult, but it builds and I feel completely relieved. It is too early to see any real results. I am not on any Flomax or anything else. ( Except what Doc has prescribed for recovery, antibiotics and steroids. I refused Cipro by the way. )

I can say I am very happy with the young Dr. McWilliams and I am glad I stayed close to home for this procedure. Travel would have been difficult. ( I almost flew back east for Dr. Bagla ) I feel confident that Dr. McWilliams knows exactly what he is doing and hopefully I can update you all with good news over the next coming weeks and months.

As I said, it was in reading the posts from my BPH brothers on this forum that lead me to have this procedure done, so I want to contribute my experience for others. I have been reading these posts for many years and I have FINALLY done something about it.

Thanks to all of you!

1 like, 71 replies

Report / Delete

71 Replies

  • Posted

    Congrats, Bob! I had mine in SD last year March 29th. The same experience. It could be painful for a while till some parts of prostate will die from ischemia. You can expect improvements up 12 months and beyond. My prostate was 135 cc before PAE. A few total retentions due to neck obstruction, bleeding from arteries. After 3 weeks it worked like a charm. Be patient, it takes time. It should help. Worked for me. Good luck.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    glad you have had a success so far.

    i had a PAE at ucsd last november with Dr PICEL which has helped a great deal but still with some night time urges. over all much better at this time

    my prostate was large over 125 g and after operation pyrridium was prescribed to lessen pain and discomfort in bladder along with your meds,

    so i will have my 6 month evaluation in JUNE and will up date you afterwards.


    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    thanks for sharing. it helps with those who will have to make a decision or have to be ready for it. pls keep update.

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      sounds like you are looking for a solution? I avoided all drugs and procedures for as long as I could. I mean mostly i didn't want to face the reality. It became normal for me to carry a pee bottle in my car or stop 2 times on my 1 hour drive to work or make sure i didnt drink too much water when traveling or more recently always carry an emergency self catheter. I have high anxiety with meds and doctors and medical procedures. It feels good to be proactive!

      I am just hoping to have some normalcy back in my life.

      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Oddly enough, I chose to have a catheter on hand and no drugs. I tried drugs, but I just don't feel like myself on them. I only had to self cath twice in the last 4 months, that is after the ER visit 2 years ago. After my first self cath, I kind of went back to normal voiding, and so it was a false sense of "everything is fine " until this last march, I was on a plane and went into full retention. That is when I made the decision to get the PAE.

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Day 4: Last night I slept very well! I only got up one time to pee. Feeling much better overall with a real sense that I have made the right choice.

    Also, I want to keep re-emphasizing my doctor , Justin P. McWilliams. On this forum there are 3 "GOD-LIKE" doctors, Dr Bagla , Dr Isaacson, & Dr Karamanian ( with Dr Picel getting a few honorable mentions here and there ).

    I was ready to go to any one of these 3 or 4 until my wife did research and found McWilliams. He also specializes in the PAE procedure with many successful procedures under his belt . He is well published on the subject and and he is the Principal Investigator on a current PAE clinical trial with the entire world renowned UCLA MEDICAL RESEARCH team by his side ( which I did sign up for ). He is a 45 minute drive from my house. He does not really exist on this forum. Just google this clinical trial # NCT03527589

    My point is: I now do believe that we here on the west coast have other options and that Dr. Bagla is not our only choice. I was desperate and I was all set up to go with Bagla, he has all my paperwork, etc and gave me the go ahead( and I'm not knocking him- I'm sure he's great!) But I am so glad that I stayed close to home and that I am in Dr McWilliams vested care for the next 3 years.

    Now as to cost, that may be another matter. My Helthnet PPO did pay for the CT SCAN that McWilliams requires BEFORE he agrees to treat you. UCLA Team handled all that with no hassle to me. I don't know yet how my insurance will reply to the PAE bill.

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Glad to hear that the procedure went well.

    This question is for anyone who has had a PAE. I am confused as to whether or not a catheter is required. Some say yes and some say no. My understanding is that some doctors will insert a catheter during the operation because it is a fairly long operation. If they do, is it left in for a period of time after the operation?

    My prostate is also 70 grams in size as measured by transabominal ultrasound (originally 100 grams in size, but I've been on dutasteride for eight months; I'll get an accurate measurement when I have a prostate MRI in a few weeks). How much reduction in size is expected?

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted


      I had a PAE at OHSU in Portland Oregon 2013. It did not help me probably due to enlarged median lobe. I chose to have a Foley catheter installed before the PAE thinking it would give the doctors a frame of reference in their images. It is very important for the doctors to know where they are inserting the catheters. It turned out that it was useful because I did not have to get up to urinate in the middle of the procedure. It is also useful after the procedure while you are lying in bed with a sand bag on your femoral artery for several hours waiting for it to heal. They took the Foley out before I left the hospital after 8PM and made sure I could urinate on my own.


      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I had a PAE just yesterday. Since I had fasted (food and liquids) for the previous 8 hours there was very little urine left in my bladder. I forced out the last little bit just before going in, and did not urinate at all during the 2-hour procedure.

      They told me that if I had to, it was OK, and just let it go during the procedure.

      I have read here about some who had a sleeve catheter (if that's the right term), like a condom with a hose on the end.

      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up